Packing Tips for Incoming Mawrters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Attention incoming Bryn Mawr freshmen: packing for college is hard. It’s difficult to decide what to take and what to keep at home when you’re moving to a completely new environment. Some of us overpack, some under-pack, and some (ahem!) have finally figured out the necessities of what to take to school (after two years of being a chronic overpacker). So if you’re looking to pack smarter, these tips and tricks are sure to make things easier for you!

Photo by Vadim Sherbakov

1. If you have a roommate, be sure to coordinate with them beforehand about who brings what. During freshman year, one of my friends and her roomie both brought mini-fridges to their room – needless to say, that was a nightmare. Talking to your roomie beforehand to figure out what to bring is the first step to packing smart!  
  2. Also, be sure to check online to see what Bryn Mawr already provides, such as printers in the libraries (although I brought my own and it was a lifesaver), and microwaves, toasters, etc. in the kitchens. There’s also a list of prohibited items, so make sure to follow all the guidelines. You can also check what is already provided in the dorm in terms of furniture, such as storage under the bed, or drawers vs. closets so you can decide whether to bring hangers.  
  3. In terms of what exactly to bring, there are tons of lists you can find online – personally, Pinterest is my favorite –  and make sure to pick a list that covers everything, from clothing to bathroom to miscellaneous. I ended up writing my own list freshman year, but I always overpack. Remember, if you’re debating bringing something, you probably don’t need it. And bring shower shoes!  
  4. Bring things to save space! This might include collapsible/folding laundry hampers, bed risers (if needed), and other things to increase storage space. Stackable crates are another good idea!  
  5. Based on your schedule (i.e. things like October and Thanksgiving breaks), you may not need to bring all of your clothing at once. Packing big, bulky coats and boots during the summer can seem unnecessary, so try to avoid it if you can. For example, if you know you’re going back home for October break, there’s no need to pack all of your fall outfits.  
  6. Final tip: every time you go home, bring things with you that you haven’t used yet. This will make moving out at the end of the year so much easier. Happy packing everyone!
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.