Ocean Conservation with United By Blue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

I’m always on the prowl for new cafes to hit up. I spend so much of my time at cafes, and I just want to jazz it up, ya know? Of the cafes I’ve found so far, United By Blue is one of my favorites and one of my most frequented. I’m taking a class at Penn this semester, so I always pass by United By Blue along the way, and almost always pop in. Every time.

Not only is United By Blue a cafe, but they also opened a restaurant in the last few months, are a clothier brand, host community events and workshops, and are activists for ocean conservation. On their website, it says that “for every product sold, United By Blue removes one pound of trash from our world’s oceans and waterways.” They do this not by handing over checks but by organizing cleanups. I love their hands-on approach and how they involve the community. (Plus, the founder and co-founder are Temple grads, from our very own city of Philadelphia!)

So far, they’ve removed more than a million pounds of trash by hosting more than 200 cleanups across almost 30 states. To learn more about cleanups and how you can get involved, you can check out their website here. Another way you can get involved is by keeping up with their events and workshops, which they share on Facebook.

If you’re taking a class at Penn, I definitely recommend checking out United By Blue along the way at 3421 Walnut Street, or you can check out their other location in Old City at 205 Race St. too.

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.