Meet Ruby Irani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Meet Ruby, rising sophomore and future Marie Curie! I met her during Customs Week on a trip to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and got to know her further in our Spanish classes together. She’s not the chattiest person, but when she does speak, you’ll want to pay attention because she’s got some zingers.

Photo courtesy of Ruby Irani

Pronouns: She/her

Major: (probably) Chemistry

Minor: (probably) Education

Class: 2021

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

When I was first looking at colleges, I didn’t even think about going to a historically women’s college. My mom convinced me to tour here, and I realized I really liked the campus and community of the college. I have stayed because of the people I have met, the personal relationships I can have with my professors and the traditions held throughout the year.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

Lantern night was one of my favorite memories. I remember getting the oversized, black robes and going into the Cloisters while it was freezing cold, being very confused as to what was going to happen. However, after getting our lantern during the ceremony, all the upperclassmen sang to us, and I felt like I was really a part of the Bryn Mawr community.

What’s  your favorite way to relax?

Honestly, I think generally I sit in bed and catch up on TV. It’s nice to sit down and not think about homework for a while. However, I also do digital illustration, but it usually takes me awhile to finish a piece of artwork. I do it in small chunks when I have the time and it helps me relax.

What are your favorite spots in Bryn Mawr or Philly?

At Bryn Mawr, I like the seats in Dalton on the second and third floors facing the windows. You can see a lot of the campus from high up. When it gets warm, sitting on the grass in front of Carpenter is the best spot. In Philly, I always stop at Beiler’s Bakery in Redding Terminal for the salted caramel donuts (or any of their donuts, you can’t go wrong!).

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

Erdman dining hall has slowly grown on me since I got here. At the beginning of the year, I used to only want to go to New Dorm, but the mac and cheese and french fries at Erdman have changed my mind.

Thank you for your time Ruby!

Belle Weiner

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021. English Major, History of Art Minor.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.