Meet Nithya Sivakumar, Chief of Bryn Mawr College EMS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

I met Nithya my freshman year. We were both in the same tiny Customs group on Pem East 3rd. We shared a lot of intro classes together as STEM majors and quickly became friends through our love of coffee and shared West Coast lifestyle. Fast forward to now, Nithya is killing it with all of her pre-health involvement on campus, including Bryn Mawr College’s Emergency Medical Service.

Photo courtesy of Nithya Sivakumar

Pronouns: she/her

Major: Mathematics

Class: 2019

What’s something people should know about you?

I love good quality coffee as much as the next person, but I’m always down for all of Starbucks’ seasonal drinks!

What’s something people should know about you? -answered by a friend

People should know that Nithya is super driven and focused. Once she sets her mind to something, she does whatever she can to commit to it.

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

I’m from California, so I never got to truly experience all four seasons! Also, I fell in love with Bryn Mawr when I first came to visit, but mostly the changing seasons.

When I was a senior in high school, I just wanted to go somewhere where I could become a woman that could look at herself in the mirror and be proud of who she is. I don’t know if I’m there yet, but I do know that I’m more happy with the person I’ve become since coming here, and that’s got to count for something.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

Oddly enough, it’s 24 hour Canaday. Really early in the morning, you’re with all your friends and you’re goofing off just because? Those are the best.

What’s your favorite method of self-care?

I love to sleep! When I’ve got the time, and if the weather’s nice, I’ll go into Philly and just walk around!

What activities are you involved with on campus? Off campus?

Besides Bryn Mawr EMS? I’m also a Career Peer in the CPD, the Treasurer for Pre-Health Society and I volunteer at Narberth Ambulance.

How did you first get involved in Bryn Mawr EMS, and what’s your favorite part?

A friend (who is now also in BMCEMS) and I actually took a CPR course hosted on campus during the spring of our freshman year. One of the people coordinating the course was a founder of Bryn Mawr EMS, and we ended up talking to her about becoming EMTs. That summer, my friend and I both got our certification and here we are!

What are your favorite spots in Bryn Mawr or Philly?

I really like University City, Old City and Chinatown in Philly!

I’m also a coffee person, so basically any and every coffee shop in Bryn Mawr.

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

Honestly, I’m not up to much! But thank you for all the support BMCEMS has received so far; we could never do as well as we have without you guys!

Thank you for your time Nithya!

Math major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of coffee and cardamom buns
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.