nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Meet Emily Rose Ogland: Sophomawr, TA, intern, dancer, artist extroadinaire. Hailing from Old Lyme, Connecticut, she is an avid Gilmore Girls fan and the biggest owl lover in the entire school. If you think you can compete with her or be even remotely close to her level, just check out her room–it’s warm and cozy and so well decorated she definitely should have won Project Dorm Room. She is also an incredible baker, and spends her vacations perfecting and experimenting with new recipes, that people as fortunate as I am get to try. I must admit bias however; she is my grandhellee, so obviously I think the world of her. If you see Emily Rose on campus, stop her and say hi! She is extremely friendly and loves meeting people. You will probably find her going to the gym or checking her mail in the Campus Center!

Here are some fun facts about this “fantasmastical” person:

What made you choose Bryn Mawr?

I know this is cliché, but Bryn Mawr was the only college that I applied to where I had immediately felt at home. I remember going into a dorm and seeing everyone’s shoes outside of their doors, and people hanging out in the hallway… it was just like home. The traditions, small class sizes, and the Honor Code made it even more amazing. Coming to Bryn Mawr has been the best decision that I have ever made.

What is your favorite thing about Bryn Mawr?

That’s a hard question! I guess the atmosphere at Bryn Mawr. Everyone is incredibly smart, which is simultaneously terrifying and inspiring – there is so much that we can learn from our fellow students. Also, everyone at Bryn Mawr is so unique and different, but in so many ways, we are all so similar. I love being able to talk to almost anyone and be able to find something that we have in common. I’m an only child, and so I don’t know what it’s like to have a sister, but after coming to Bryn Mawr, I feel like I do have an idea of what that is like. 

How do you like being a TA?

I love being a TA! I was nervous at first, and it is challenging at times, but it quickly became one of my favorite things that i have done so far in college. I love the French language, and I enjoy being able to share my passion with other students, and to help them learn the language as well. 

What was the most rewarding BMC experience you’ve had so far?

That’s a tough question – I guess it would be a tie between Lantern Night and Hell Week. I loved Lantern Night because it makes you realize that you are part of a long line of Bryn Mawr students. If I’m ever feeling stressed or overwhelmed, I think of that night, and of how many women have come here before me, and I know that I can get through it too. Hell Week was amazing for me, not only because the tasks were so entertaining, but also because of the friends that I made. I don’t know what I would do without my Hell Family!

Which dorm is your favorite?

Rock. I love the windows!

What is your favorite lesser known BMC spot? 

Any place where the sun shines through the windows and makes everything warm and magical. My current favorite spot is the window seat on Rock 2nd first.

If you could have any job at bmc what would it be (including president, CFO, etc)?

I think that being an admissions counselor would be fun and rewarding. Although it would be hard to turn students down, I think that it would be amazing to read so many varied and diverse applications, and to find the students that truly make Bryn Mawr a unique place. As Mawrters, I think that we are all very similar, but different in our own ways. To be able to find the distinctive “Bryn Mawr qualities” on an application would be a very special experience.

Where would you go in a time machine?

I’ve always wanted to go to Victorian France or England. I think it would be such a wonderful experience to see what living during Jane Austen’s novels would have been like. 

What is your favorite quote?

I have two, but one is in French and one is in English: “On ne voit bien qu’avec le coeur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux,” which roughly translates into “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

“I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements, awaited those who had the courage to go forth into it’s expanse…” ~ Charlotte Bronte

If you were an ice cream flavor, what would you be?

French Vanilla 

What superpower would you like to have?

I’ve always wanted to be “omnilingual,” meaning that I could speak, write and communicate in every single language in the world. It would make traveling to foreign countries so much more meaningful… and it would make writing essays easier too! 

Who is your favorite disney princess?

Mulan – she is intelligent, kind, brave, and determined to prove that girls can do anything, what’s more to love?! 

What is the best craft project you have ever made?

The summer before college, I was really bored, so I taught myself how to crochet. As all Bryn Mawr students love owls, I decided to make lots of owl things, including a crochet owl garland, that is hanging in my room. 

What is your favorite flower?

Roses! (Go figure)

Artsy. Third Degree Black Belt. Dancer. True New Yorker.