Meet Alisha Clark, SGA President 2017-18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

What better way to kick off the school year than with Alisha, our SGA President? I met Alicia in my first year during the Tri-College Identity, Equity, and Social Justice program the week before Customs Week, and now we’re both seniors! It’s been amazing to see her remain actively involved in the community and make changes. Without further ado, let’s get started with our interview!

Photo courtesy of Alisha Clark

Pronouns: She/Her

Major: Sociology

Minor: Health Studies

Class: 2018

What’s something people should know about you?

I have a strong passion for social justice.

What’s something people should know about you? (answered by a friend)

People should know that Alisha is driven. She has an incredible work ethic that cannot be matched because each thing she does she approaches with passion and grace. She has an incredible way of working with people and that is because of her open and welcoming personality that radiates from her smile! -N.J.

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

I chose Bryn Mawr after having an overnight visit at the college. During my stay, I was fully immersed into the campus culture in the classroom, within dorm living and within the dining halls. As night fell, I was greeted with open arms and a group of Bryn Mawr students came to talk about my day. In that moment, as we talked about our day, I began to feel comfort. Each person I interacted with engaged in an intellectually stimulating conversation with me or someone else and I found that exciting. I chose to stay because of the group of students that made my visit special, but I also chose to stay to help welcome the next group of students who might also be unsure about coming to our campus.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

One of my favorite memories from my time at Bryn Mawr was having my little brother stay on campus with me. I took him to the dining hall and he was pleased to hear that it was all you can eat. Then, we stayed up and did a late Uncommon Grounds run for chicken tenders. I’m sure both of us gained an extra 10 pounds.                                              

What clubs/activities/jobs are you involved with on campus? Off campus?

On campus, I try my best to be as involved as possible. Throughout my time at Bryn Mawr, I have worked with dining services, as a tour guide, Access and Inclusion Intern for Admissions, Marketing and Promotions Coordinator for Pensby, StoryCORE facilitator, Hall Advisor, Customs Person, First-Year Dorm Representative and newly SGA President.

I love being a tour guide and an intern the most because during a tour, I can allow prospective students to wear my shoes for about 45 minutes and I give them complete honesty. I think people usually associate me with Admissions as well.                                         

What are some of your hobbies?

Shopping.                                         

What were you up to this past summer?

I spent my summer working at Georgetown University. I worked in their medical school doing various things. Whenever I wasn’t working, I did volunteer work for the college. During the summer, I was a Hoya (that’s what their students are called). Ha!                                         

What’s your favorite method of self-care?

My favorite method of self-care is to drink coffee. Honestly.

What are you most excited about for senior year?

GRADUATING.

What changes do you hope to make as SGA President?

I hope to change the climate on campus between students and SGA. I want to make SGA welcoming by ensuring that it is inclusive.

What advice do you have for incoming first-years?

Admissions [the BMC admissions office] doesn’t make any mistakes. To incoming first-years of color, if you begin to think you do not belong, please claim your space and own it, because you belong just as much as anyone else.

For anyone visiting Bryn Mawr or Philly for the first time, what recommendations do you have for them?

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

I am up to many things! I’ve dedicated a lot of time into planning for Plenary. But, I am troubled by the events that occurred in Charlottesville, Ferguson, Cleveland, and many more. I found it triggering to find that people still found ways to justify other’s wrongdoing and was able to see that Bryn Mawr has protected students for abusing the first amendment and our social honor code, while shunning the feelings of students of color on campus. But, what I found aspiring was the removal of confederate statues and the cleansing of cities. It has challenged me to reflect and has motivated me to demand the removal of M. Carey Thomas’ name from TGH. But, I would need students to support this plan in order for me to execute.

Please email me testimonies/feelings on why you would like to remove her name at aclark1@brynmawr.edu.

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

I am very friendly. Please say hi or tell me about your day. I will listen. Also, SGA means everyone! I cannot change anything if people do not show up. This is not strictly limited to Plenary. Everyone is welcome to attend weekly SGA meetings at 7PM on Sundays in the Campus Center Main Lounge.

Thank you for your time Alisha!

Keep up with Alisha on Instagram and Snapchat!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.