This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

This advice is coming from the perspective of an English major and can vary according to your chosen major. Take every point with a grain of salt, and know that you can tailor this advice according to your needs!

Start preparing early.

As soon as you’re able, start thinking about what you might want your thesis to be about. Some majors and fellowship programs will start the thesis process at the beginning of your college experience or in your junior year, but if you aren’t one of those students, then you should at least start researching during the summer before your senior year. The sooner you know what you want your topic to be, the sooner you’ll be able to tweak it into a fully fleshed idea and identify your methodology.

Communicate with your advisors.

Some advisors can be either extremely involved or completely hands-off in your writing process. Open communication is key in order for you and your advisor to understand your expectations so that you get the assistance you need. If at any point you feel that you aren’t being supported, you may want to set up a meeting with your advisor, dean, or the head of the major department to discuss changes that need to be made.

Know your deadlines.

The sooner you know the hard deadlines for your thesis, the sooner you can determine the amount of time you will need to devote to research and writing per week. You and your advisor might also determine that you need more deadlines in between the department-mandated ones, so knowing what is required at a basic level is important to alter your schedule according to your needs.

Find a place that you reserve just for writing your thesis.

Whether this means that you reserve a carrel at Canaday or Carpenter, work in a campus cafe every Wednesday or find a cozy couch in your dorm common room, find a space where you can work without worrying about what you should be doing for other classes. Instead of a place, you might also be able to reserve a specific day or time for writing and research, depending on your schedule of course. For example, this semester, I don’t have any classes on Tuesdays, so I reserve this day for writing and researching my thesis.

Get rid of distractions.

If you’re the kind of person who gets distracted easily by your phone, tabs on your computer, music or loud spaces, tailor your writing time accordingly. Set your phone to “Do Not Disturb” and make sure to study in libraries or quiet spaces. Or, if quiet distracts you, go to a common room or the Campus Center or bring earbuds to play music to help you focus.

Find a writing buddy.

If you benefit from companionship, it might be a good idea to find a writing buddy or two to write with. Ask your department if they’re hosting any writing circles, go to the Writing Center or ask a friend from your major if they want to reserve a study room with you! A buddy can be a silent source of support, or you can even agree to read each other’s drafts and offer constructive criticism; this might be especially useful if you don’t meet your thesis advisor every week.

Take breaks.

Writing a paper of this size can be extremely exhausting, especially since it is only one part of multiple papers and assignments throughout your year, and there may be times where you need a break. Take it! Self-care is always important, but is especially crucial in this final year of your undergraduate studies. Find a hobby, spend time with your friends, take a day off if you are able. And if you find that things are becoming unmanageable, please consider discussing your options with your dean or thesis advisor and visiting the Health Center if you need to. You are human, and you should be able to take care of all of your needs, not just your academic ones. And remember: Done is Good.

Genevieve Altman

Bryn Mawr '22