This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

From celebrities to influencers to Her Campus articles, skincare is everywhere. And it is complicated. Serums, toners, essences, and acids: there’s just too much to try and figure out. Like always, I have your back. Your routine can be as simple or intensive, as budget-friendly or expensive as you want it to be. By the end of this article, you should have all the knowledge you need to make your skin happy and healthy.

Figure Out Your Skin Type

Knowing exactly what your skin needs is the first step. My best recommendation is just to see how your face feels throughout the day and in the evening.

• Oily skin – covered in grease by the end of the day. Foundation, SPF, concealer, etc. melts off (and quickly too). Can be acne prone, but not necessarily.
  • Dry skin – patches of flaky skin, tightness, and general discomfort. 
  • Normal – normal, regular skin. Maybe you get a pimple here and there, maybe you get a little dry in the winter.
  • Combination: some mix of any of the above! It’s very common to have an oily forehead and nose (T-Zone) and normal/dry cheeks and mouth (U-zone).
  • Sensitive: does your face freak out whenever you try a new product? Do some things make your face hurt? Allergies? Eczema? You probably have sensitive skin. 

It’s also important to note that this absolutely can change with products, weather, stress, and so on. Your skin can be very fickle, but it’s nothing we can’t handle together.

Start With the Basics
  1. Cleanser
  2. Moisturizer
  3. SPF

This is all the skincare that anyone actually ‘needs.’ Washing twice a day (morning and evening), moisturizing both times, and SPF in the AM is a perfectly comprehensive skincare routine. If you want to keep it simple, you’re done! I would, personally, have two cleansers: one water-based and one oil-based. This oil-based cleanser would only be used in the evening before the water-based cleanser.

Here are some of my recommendations for these basic cleansers and moisturizers.

Cleansers:

• Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Enzyme Cleansing Balm ($32): My favorite cleanser ever. I cannot recommend it more! Plus, you get a cute jar when you’re done. Using a generous (but not excessive) scoop, one jar lasts me about 3 months. This is a perfect oil-based cleanser to remove your SPF and makeup. Don’t let the words ‘oil-based’ scare you – oily skin types can use this and do so happily.
  • Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser ($19): My morning cleanser! A good gentle option for anyone with dry skin (especially for the winter). This cleanser is simple and wonderful. One bottle lasts me about two months.
  • Youth to the People Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser ($36): Another good cleanser! This one is a bit harsher than the Milky Jelly, but it is a good everyday option for oily skin (especially if you’re trying to keep it simple). I usually use this one in the evenings, following my Papaya Cleansing Balm.
  • Acure Seriously Soothing Cleansing Cream ($9.99): An incredible dupe for the Glossier Milky Jelly (similar milky texture, similar vague floral rose scent, and similar appearance). It isn’t quite the same (which is why I still use the Milky Jelly), but if you want to spend less on something you’re literally washing down the drain, your skin won’t tell the difference.
  • Acure Brightening Cleansing Gel (only available with Brightening Scrub for $16.99): Very good if you have small marks and scars you would like to fade gradually. I can’t say I noticed an incredible difference. It’s still a good cleanser! Another good follow-up to a cleansing balm.

Moisturizer:

Let’s Get Complicated!
  • Serums: Looking to fade acne spots, have less acne, control oil or hydration? A serum can do it. Some of my favorite serums include Glossier Super Pure ($29) meant to bring oily skin under control and the Topicals Faded Serum for Dark Spots and Discoloration ($38).
  • Toners: A toner is used after cleansing (before any other products) and is meant to soothe your face after cleansing. I have the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner ($34) and it’s delightful. Exfoliating toners CAN NOT be used every day. The packaging might say you can, and some TikTok influencers might say so, but they are both lying. Every other night (and I do mean night) at most.
  • Exfoliators: Exfoliate carefully and gently! Whether you go the physical or chemical route, be kind and gentle with your skin. I have yet to find a good face scrub and I’m not looking. Face scrubs can be a little too rough and I cannot recommend one. My favorite chemical exfoliators are the Glow Recipe toner (mentioned above) and the Bliss That’s Incredi-peel Glycolic Acid Pads ($25 for 15 pads). It is also incredibly important to use SPF regularly after exfoliating. Your skin will be more sensitive and prone to some kind of sun damage. Be kind to your face.

We’re Done!

You now have all of the information you need to cobble together a comprehensive skincare routine! Put this together with some water, a couple of vegetables, and washing your pillowcase, and you will be well on your way to dewy skin!

Anadys Rodriguez

Bryn Mawr '26

Anadys (ah-nah-dees): a skincare addict and first year at Bryn Mawr College. Her interests and passions range from beauty and fashion to classical lesbians to sexual wellness to her emotional support Italian rock band, Måneskin. She's considering a Psychology major on a Pre Med track. Check out her Instagram @cupidanadys (ask about her Bellesa affiliate code) and please wear SPF.