Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

4 Ways to Winter-Proof Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

As the temperature drops into sweater-appropriate ranges, I am reminded of the pain my skin will soon endure. Between the dramatic change in weather to the biting cold wind to final exams, my face goes through it every year. This past winter, though, my skin was as dewy and soft and moisturized as it is in the spring and summer. I have used each product recommended and can personally attest to the quality and practicality for surviving the winter.

Get a reliable moisturizer

This is the most important! If you are only physically capable of retaining one piece of information from this article and proceed to only look at the funny letters, let this be the one thing: get a good moisturizer. I adore the FAB Intense Hydration cream for a LONG list of reasons, and can say it is perfect for anyone with eczema, dry skin, delicate and sensitive skin, allergies and even oil acne-prone skin! Do not let the intense hydration deter you – it makes my oily, oily skin so happy. Pro tip: slather this all over your hands and neck for extra coverage and safety from the winter winds (also, start cleaning your neck with your face wash). 

If you want a little extra help on particularly windy days or need an afternoon pick-me-up, look no further than the Glossier After Baume. This one was a later addition to my winter skincare arsenal, but proved its value in keeping me soft and dewy. I usually use it at night, as the last step of my skincare. I love slugging!

My recommendations: Glossier After Baume and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration

Get a hydrating serum on you

I haven’t seen enough people with hyaluronic acid in their routines and it just shatters my heart. When using a hyaluronic acid, it is essential (not optional) to leave your face a bit damp. Because hyaluronic acid loves to be with water, if you don’t apply it on top of some water, it will find water from inside your face and leave your skin dry. If you don’t wear any serums, leave your face a little damp before you put on moisturizer. A good moisturizer will keep your skin healthy, but this serum will truly make your skin happy.

I absolutely love and adore everything Glow Recipe does and the Plum Plumping serum is no exception. I also adore my Peach and Lily serum, I would like to credit my current skin quality largely to this serum. If these are not exactly what you’re looking for (especially in the budget zone), just keep an eye out for hyaluronic acid.

My recommendations: Glow Recipe Plum Plump Hyaluronic Acid Serum and Peach and Lily Glass Skin Serum

Reliable lip balm

This is actually something I suffer with year-round because I am chronically dehydrated! My tip for waking up without dry lips: during your night skincare routine, put a little water (not spit!) on your lips, apply your moisturizer (I do mean the FAB one) and follow it up with a little Balm Dotcom. Daytime, it’s a bit more complicated as (between eating and drinking), you’re constantly wiping the product off of your lips. My trick is moisturizing lipstick and/or oil – life is too short to terrorize your lips with a painful liquid lipstick. Personally, I’m picking moisture over longevity, but if that’s not how you roll, here’s where the Lip Glow comes in.

My recommendations: Glossier Balm Dotcom and Dior Addict Lip Glow and Glossier Generation G

Seal everything in with a good oil

Last on the list and a last resort. As someone with oily skin, I do my best to avoid adding too much extra oil, but on days I’m going to be out and about, there is nothing better than some oil. I personally recommend rosehip for its variety of skin-friendly properties like reducing hyperpigmentation and improving hydration. If you suffer from dry skin, put this on as the second to last step (after moisturizer and before SPF) and get on with your glowy, dewy life.

My recommendations: Acure The Essentials Rosehip Oil

Good luck surviving the winter, braving final exams and living your most moisturized life! Please wear SPF!

Anadys Rodriguez

Bryn Mawr '26

Anadys (ah-nah-dees): a skincare addict and first year at Bryn Mawr College. Her interests and passions range from beauty and fashion to classical lesbians to sexual wellness to her emotional support Italian rock band, Måneskin. She's considering a Psychology major on a Pre Med track. Check out her Instagram @cupidanadys (ask about her Bellesa affiliate code) and please wear SPF.