How to Have a Successful Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

College is notorious for introducing the concept of long distance relationships. Whether you’re dating your high school sweetheart or you’re just simply dating someone new who doesn’t go to the same college as you, long distance relationships can be quite a foreign concept to a lot of people. Personally, my boyfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months now, and have been dating long distance for half of that time. Over time I have learned a few things:

Technology is your new best friend.

Whether you two decide to FaceTime, call or even just text each other, those simple interactions between the two of you allow you to obtain a sense of reassurance and allows for you to quickly exchange updates with your significant other. A simple “ I love you!” or “ You are so important to me!” text can really go a long way.

Trust is everything.

In any relationship, trusting your significant other is a must, but it’s even more important in a long distance one. As humans, we tend to assume the worst when it comes to any situation, but with a mutual trust those tendencies rarely occur and you’re able to enjoy your relationship without any hesitation. 

Be Open!

Bottling up your feelings and not sharing them with your significant other only causes more issues within the relationship. If you aren’t happy, chances are they aren’t going to be happy either, so speak up! If your boyfriend/ girlfriend did something that made you uncomfortable or anxious, make sure you address it and work it out. Chances are they didn’t do it on purpose and instead you two just had a different interpretation on the matter. 

Set dates to see each other.

This will allow you to have a date to look forward to where you two can finally see each other in person and enjoy your time together. Having a date on the calendar will remind you that distance isn’t forever, and you two will be together like old times real soon. 

Jenna Van Holten

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021