Help! I Didn’t Get into My Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

I audited by Intro to Computer Science course for four weeks before I was able to get officially enrolled into the course. I’m now a computer science major.

Photo courtesy of StockSnap

If you didn’t get into your course, but you’re still dead set on taking it, here’s what you can do:

Ask around. Ask your professor. Ask their previous students. Get an idea of how lenient the professor is about the enrollment cap or how easy/difficult the professor is to persuade based on the professor’s personality or based on the student’s personal experience with the professor.

Some professors are very strict about the cap and won’t even allow auditing, in which case, you’ll have to accept this and wait for the next semester. Otherwise, we can continue with our scheme.

Keep showing up. Of course, show up for all the classes during Shopping Week, but also keep showing up under the pretense of auditing the class. Communicate with your professor about wanting to audit the class, should you not be able to get in. If applicable, attend all lab sessions and recitation sessions that you can make during that first week, and after that, attending just one lab session and/or recitation like any other enrolled student is enough. Make sure the professor knows you’re there. If they have a sign-in sheet, that will be easy.

However, although this is a good way to impress your professor with your dedication to the class, this is not a guarantee. I’m recommending this under the impression that whether or not you get enrolled in the class officially, you’re happy to take it, even if it is just to audit it. At least, next time you take the course, this time as an officially enrolled student, you’ll have an easier time with the material. Or that’s what I tell myself anyway. Maybe if you’re lucky, you’ll be able to take the “next level” course without having officially taken the prerequisite, in which case, it won’t matter whether or not you were officially enrolled in the course, if you don’t mind not getting a college credit for it. Another option is to audit the course and get a recommendation from the professor at the end of the semester.

Let people know your situation. Stay in contact with your professor, the TAs, and your dean. Maybe even the registrar, depending on the urgency of your situation. If it’s not very urgent, I wouldn’t recommend reaching out to the registrar, because they’re probably really busy and won’t be able to give you the time to personally understand your situation.

Good luck with the semester, and I hope you – eventually – get into all your classes!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.