Four Hot Chocolate Recipes to Enjoy the Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

The chilly season is officially here, which means it’s time for everyone’s favorite hot drink to get warm: hot chocolate. So many of us enjoy regular hot chocolate with warm milk, milk chocolate, and marshmallows, but here are four unique hot chocolate recipes that could be fun to try out!  

Nutella Hot Chocolate

Practically everyone loves Nutella and all of its joyous flavors, but have you ever used it to make hot chocolate? To create a serving size that makes four cups, just heat up four cups of milk in a saucepan on medium-high heat until it starts to steam. Next, add two tablespoons of Nutella, two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, and two tablespoons of white sugar. Let the hot chocolate simmer then serve with whatever toppings you want. I would personally recommend crushed hazelnuts or maybe even more Nutella!

Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate

One of my favorite ice cream combinations is cookies and cream. Since many love this flavor as a cold dessert, you might as well try it warm while drinking cookies and cream in a delectable hot chocolate. First, make sure the warm two cups of milk over medium-low heat. Next, add half a cup of your favorite hot chocolate powder and a couple of crushed up Oreos and let it simmer. Add some whipped cream and more crushed Oreos and you’ll have yourself wonderful cookies and cream hot chocolate!

S’mores Hot Chocolate

My absolute favorite dessert during the wintertime is a good s’more. Since marshmallows are already a must in hot chocolate, why not add some graham crackers too. To make this sensational drink, start by heating up two cups of milk over medium heat until warm. Then, you can add one-fourth cup of cocoa powder, two tablespoons of chocolate syrup, three tablespoons of sugar, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and whisk thoroughly. Before you pour your hot chocolate into your favorite mug, make sure to add some crushed graham crackers into the mug first then pour in your drink combination. Finally, make sure to top with plenty of marshmallows, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and even more graham crackers to enjoy!

Frozen Hot Chocolate

This last recipe is for those of you that live in warmer areas but still want to be festive during the wintertime. It’s also for students like me who enjoy a cold drink no matter the current weather forecast. This frozen hot chocolate requires only a few recipes and a blender while being significantly cheaper than the drink at Dunkin’. Just place one and a half cups of chocolate milk, one cup of your favorite hot chocolate powder mix, and approximately three cups of cubed ice into your blender and process until smooth. Once smooth, pour your mixture into a festive glass, top with whipped cream and holiday sprinkles, and voila!

Kalyn Wiley

Bryn Mawr '23

I am a current sophomore at Bryn Mawr College. My interests include cooking, exploring, drinking coffee, and doing fun crafts.