A BMC Student’s Guide to Participating in the Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Right now, BMC students have their schedules filled to the brim with midterms, papers, extracurricular activities, and other time-consuming tasks. With the elections quickly approaching, many students don’t know how they can get involved with the elections with so much work on their plate. Fortunately, there are several ways that Bryn Mawr students can learn about the candidates and discuss political issues with other students before election day arrives. 

The simplest way that students can get involved and be a good citizen is by registering to vote. Instead of heading to an election office, students can simply register here or at Haverford College. Student volunteers are eager to register all students, or check their registration status. Pennslyvania is a swing state this year, so it’s crucial that students register in this state if they want their vote to matter in the election. 

Along with this, students can learn about the candidates by watching the debates in the next weeks and months. This is a great way for students to step away from their work, and enjoy time with other Mawrtyrs in an open space. NextGen Climate Pennslyvania will be hosting a Vice Presidential Debate Watch Party on Tuesday, October 4th so that students can learn about how the vice presidential candidates stand on issues regarding climate change, women’s rights, racial justice, and more. The Bryn Mawr Democrats will also be hosting more debate parties as election day approaches. 

Another way that students can understand about what is happening in the election is to follow live streams on social media. Students can follow the political candidates on twitter and facebook, or follow live news streams. Either way, this is a simple way that students can actively check up on what is happening in the election process in a quick and easy manner. 

In addition, students can also build up their resumes this election season. There are plenty of ways to volunteer at Bryn Mawr Colllege or around Philadelphia. Bryn Mawr Democrats and PA College Democrats are hosting a variety of volunteer opportunities- for example, students can sign up for time slots to register voters during dining hall hours. Students can also volunteer or work at independent grassroots organizations in Philadelphia like PennEnvironment to help in the voting process. 

All in all, Bryn Mawr is one of the best places to get involved with the election cycle. There are so many options for students at the college to learn about the candidates, voice their opinions, and explore some  new opportunities. Bryn Mawr students definitely have a chance to actively participate in one of the most exciting elections in this country’s history.  

Lead Image Credit: PA College Democrats via Twitter