Best Study Spaces at Bryn Mawr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

If you’re doing all your studying in your room, chances are, you’re going to get distracted. With roommates and friends milling around, and the comfort of your bed within reach, it’s too easy to avoid getting your work done. Keep your dorm a social and living space, not an academic one, so you can be a more productive student and make the most of your free time!

At Bryn Mawr, I like to get out of my room if there’s work to do (and there always is, believe me). Here are some fantastic study spaces, in no particular order:

Dalton atriumThe glass atrium of Dalton Hall offers a beautiful view of campus. Climb the steps to the second or third floor and settle in on one of the cushiony, swiveling chairs. Make sure your electronics are fully charged, because there aren’t any outlets available, but the amount of natural light during the afternoons makes a dense reading a little easier to get through.

Photo Credit: Creighton Ward

Carpenter LibraryThe Rhys Carpenter library is, in my opinion, a lot cozier than Canaday or Collier. Visible from the main staircase at any level, the big tables near the atrium wall make a great study area. There’s plenty of room to spread out, and the high ceiling makes it feel so spacious. By day, the sunlight filtering in from the top is actually quite beautiful, and by night, it’s pretty cozy. One long night, I brought a blanket to wrap myself in as I sat on a couch to finish a few papers. If you need a break, a quick walk in between study sessions to admire the statue of Athena, the exhibitions on display, the grassy terrace through the windows, or any of its housed archaeological artifacts is always refreshing.

The London RoomThe London Room is in Thomas. It’s kind of out of the way, but once you know how to get there, it’s easy. Walk into the Great Hall, take the right exit, then a left, and at the end of the hall is the London Room. With a gorgeous view of Rockefeller on one side and Canaday on the other, the London Room is great for relaxing or for working. The bookshelves are filled with volumes about the English city, and a quick flip through their pages makes for a nice break, while maintaining an academic ambience.

Thomas Great HallThe actual Great Hall is a serene place to study. Take a seat on a couch, where you can fully admire the impressive architecture and velvety richness of the room. With Athena watching over you, you can’t help but feel more prepared to take on a pile of homework.

The Lusty CupThe Lusty Cup, in the basement of Canaday, is a friendly, open place for socializing and studying. With plenty of seating and liveliness, it’s not too noisy enough to get work done. I find it to have a good level of activity that I can easily join in on or ignore. Great for conversing with members of a group project or a classmate, and enjoying a cup of coffee or a treat while you finish a problem set or revise a paper. The writing center and Canaday’s resources are a short walk away, which is convenient!

Happy studying, Mawrters!

Student at Bryn Mawr College, class of 2019. Writer, runner, dog person, proud New Englander.