Affordable Skincare: Tips for the Summer/Fall Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

When the fall arrives, you ditch your tank tops and shorts for sweaters and accept that your tan lines will slowly begin to fade. Your skin fights the sun and sweat of summer as well as the colder winds and temperatures of fall. But do you ever think about switching up your skincare routine? Here are some affordable products for the college budget that you can use to keep your skin glowy and radiant!

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

1. Exfoliator

Sun damage can lead to a lot of built-up dead skin, so be sure to exfoliate and scrub it all off! Find a gentle product that will exfoliate but not aggravate the skin. I recommend Ulta’s Luxe Smooth Exfoliating Body Scrub. For people with more sensitive skin, try Aveeno Positively Radiant Body Scrub.

2. Moisturizer

Through the summer heat and colder weather of the fall, it’s always a good idea to keep your skin healthy and moisturized. Too much dryness can be damaging to your skin, and even those with oilier skin need to stay moisturized! As someone with combination skin, I usually use Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream for my oilier t-zone areas and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream for Extra-Dry Skin for the rest of my face.

3. Hand cream

Cold + wind = dry hands. It’s a fact. So be sure to keep your hands soft and protected with The Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector!

4. Self-tanner

Even when it gets too cold to go to the beach in the fall and your tan lines start fading away, fear not–you can still keep that bronzy summer glow! Self-tanner can help you achieve a gorgeous tan all year round. Some of the biggest things to look for in a self-tanner is a product that applies evenly, doesn’t come out too orange and is long-lasting and won’t come off on your white clothing. As someone who has experimented a lot with self-tanners, Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion is ridiculously affordable and one of the best I’ve ever used!

5. BB Cream

Instead of clogging up your pores every day with thick foundation, opt for a light BB cream like the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream on the days you need less coverage. Your skin will thank you!

6. Sunscreen

Yes, sunscreen. Even though you see less sun when the season transitions from summer to fall, it’s important to protect yourself from harmful rays and sun damage. Be sure to cover your face, neck, hands and other exposed body parts with sunscreen, not just during this transitional season, but throughout fall as well! I recommend at least SPF 15; my childhood sunscreen, Banana Boat Sun Lotion, has always done the job!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.