This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

The weather is cooling down and the leaves are changing, which means it’s officially time for spooky season! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and a good way I like to celebrate is to watch an array of movies to get in the spooky mood. 

Here are eight movies, all ranging from Disney to horror, that are perfect for the Halloween season.

Nightmare Before Christmas

Nightmare Before Christmas is an amazing Tim Burton film that is fun to watch anytime with anyone. It focuses on a place known as Halloweentown and Jack Skellington who is otherwise known as the Pumpkin King. With its catchy songs and unique storyline, it is a spooky movie that combines two seasons into one.

Halloweentown

Halloweentown is another Disney classic with an interesting storyline. Marnie figures out that her grandmother is a witch that lives in a place known as Halloweentown. Marnie and her two siblings go to Halloweentown to discover what it’s all about to live somewhere where Halloween occurs everyday. It’s such a cute movie to watch with friends because this movie is the epitome of celebrating Halloween.

Hocus Pocus

When most people think of Halloween, they think of Hocus Pocus, so of course it has to be on the list! Hocus Pocus is a rendition of the Salem Witch Trials where the Sanderson sisters are local Salem witches that take children away from their homes. The sisters get revived once again on Halloween night and it’s up to the main characters to save the town. This movie is loved for its hilarious characters and eccentric tales, so it’s one that I highly recommend.

Twitches

The final Disney movie on this list is Twitches. This movie stars twins Tia and Tamera Mowry as long-lost sisters who reconnect with each other only to find out they are both witches. Lots of action, humor, and personality makes this movie addicting to watch all throughout the year, but especially during Halloween season.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice is by no means a Disney movie, but I think it’s still amazing for the spooky season. The film stars a married couple who recently become ghosts that are supposed to haunt their home, but a poltergeist by the name of Beetlejuice tries to scare them away. I find this movie to be pure comedy. I love to watch this movie with friends and family since all of us laugh so much because of Beetlejuice’s persona. However, even though I love the character Beetlejuice, some may find him as well as the storyline to be a tad creepy, but what is Halloween without creepy vibes.

Now, we’re getting into horror movies so be warned if horror isn’t your thing. I personally love horror movies, so these next options are the ones that remind me most of Halloween.

Friday the 13th

When I think of an OG horror movie that trumps all others, it’s Friday the 13th. This is actually a series of slasher films that are the epitome of a 20th century slasher film. The story is about a little boy, Jason Vorhees, who tragically drowns at a campground and has his presence forever trapped at the site known as Crystal Lake. I don’t actually find this series scary because there are no jump scares, so whenever I recommend a scary movie to a friend that doesn’t like being scared it’s always this one.

It

What’s a list of Halloween movies without a Stephen King movie? Out of all of his movies, It is definitely my favorite. I’m specifically talking about the 2017 film because I think its production is so much better than the previous movie. It is based off of the novel where a clown named Pennywise terrorizes the children of Derry, Maine. It is such a well-told story that is captivating all throughout the film. I wouldn’t watch this movie if you are terrified of clowns, but if you aren’t then I highly recommend it!

Halloween

Last, but most certainly not least, is Halloween. All Jamie Lee Curtis and horror film lovers must come together to watch this spectacular film. The storyline is about a boy named Michael Myers who escapes from a mental hospital on Halloween night and causes chaos in the town. In comparison to Friday the 13th, Halloween is more gory and altogether scary but I think it’s still a must watch if you’re specifically looking for a horror movie!

Kalyn Wiley

Bryn Mawr '23

I am a current sophomore at Bryn Mawr College. My interests include cooking, exploring, drinking coffee, and doing fun crafts.