This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

As the period of New Year resolutions rapidly approaches, many will add reading goals to their lists. I set a goal for myself to read 20 books in 2021 and ended up reading 87 books from years past and 2021 releases for a total of 29,076 pages (and wrote a few book reviews along the way that now serve as part of this article). I discovered underrated gems during my reading challenge – be sure to check these out in 2022 as you start your year off on a bookishly good foot. 

We Ride Upon Sticks by Quan Barry

We Ride Upon Sticks was by far my favorite book of the year. Many books claim to be the perfect depiction of a pinnacle teen experience, but none of them capture it like this book. It’s the most accurate portrayal of teenage girls I’ve ever read: team sports, witchcraft, outrageous pranks, Heathers vibes, celebrity worship, inside jokes, and lifelong friendship. This is a delight to read, and with a large cast of expertly crafted characters and a unique magical realism, We Ride Upon Sticks is unlike anything you’ll read.

The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is so engrossing that the plot takes on a character of its own, and the reader feels as equally confused as the main character when piecing together the mystery. It all comes together in a firecracker of an ending, with all the threads connecting so perfectly that you immediately want to read it again. Check it out if you love the time loop in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and the whodunit of classic mystery novels.

Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu

Written as a screenplay, Interior Chinatown tackles racial stereotypes as they appear on television. It feels like it addresses any show you’ve ever watched where Asian characters are used as a badge of “diversity” when in fact it’s just reproducing stereotype after stereotype. The plot is expertly aware and enthralling, with multifaceted characters, making it a clever piece on anti-Asian racism in America and on television.

The Guncle by Steven Rowley

I laughed, I cried, my heart exploded and melted. The Guncle is a joy to read and is like sunshine in book form – it depicts serious topics with grace and warmth. Characters in The Guncle grow and change as the story goes on and they understand each other more. Its titular Guncle may appear unidimensional at first, but as he steps into his role as a godfather, he shows a depth that goes far beyond the pages as he steps into readers’ hearts.

Mary Jane by Anya Jessica Blau

Mary Jane is a charming take on growing up in the 1970s. It’s packed full of rock-n-roll, familial bonds, and childhood memories, and creates characters who tug on your heartstrings with how precious they are and how real they seem. Mary Jane is a fast-paced, endearing read for a cozy day that’ll keep you smiling for days to come because of how darn sweet it is. 

Grace Curtin

Bryn Mawr '24

Grace is a political science major from Northern Virginia. When not studying, she enjoys bullet journaling, reading, and yoga. She can frequently be found cheering on the Philadelphia Flyers or yelling at the TV while watching "The Bachelor."