books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Tips for Getting Organized at the Beginning of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

After winter break, it’s tough to feel motivated for a new semester, especially when all you want to do is stay warm in your dorm room. Here are five ways to help yourself start the new term right and feel less stressed going forward.

Image by Unsplash

1. No-Internet Time: Have some reading you should’ve done over break or feeling like you’re already procrastinating on homework?  Challenge yourself to turn your devices on airplane mode for a couple hours so that you can focus on something you need to get done. It might be easier than you think, and you’ll feel better afterwards for accomplishing something or getting ahead.

2. To-Do List: Writing out a to-do list for the next day before going to bed can help you be in the mindset of what want or have to do, rather than letting yourself waste more time trying to to remember certain tasks. It’s also satisfying to cross items off a physical list.

3. Schedule Free Time: Finding it hard to focus and finish tasks because you have plenty of time later? Set regular times to meet up with friends for meals or to hang out on the weekend. By figuring out when you’ll be taking breaks, you might avoid letting moments of procrastination extend into afternoons of avoiding work.

4. Physical and Digital Organization: Did you throw all your papers on a shelf or in a corner of your room before leaving for winter break? Take half an hour to sort through anything that’s still taking up space, and figure out what might be useful or what you can dump in the trash or recycling bin. The same goes for your Bryn Mawr H-drive or any other place you save documents or spreadsheets.

5. Get Help Early: Only two weeks in and already feeling overwhelmed? Find out what your professor’s and/or your class TA’s office hours are and go talk to them. It’ll help establish a connection between you and them, especially if you need advice or anything else later on, and will show you’re committed to making an effort.

Madison Cassidy

Bryn Mawr '19

English major, class of 2019. Avid reader, fan of fluffy animals, devourer of film and television journalism and critique, and often searching for the best cheap eats.
Maria Bohan

Bryn Mawr '21

I'm a Bryn Mawr College junior who still gets excited about the little things in life. English major/Education minor.