5 Things to do in Philly this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

We’re almost at the end of 2017, which means that the holiday season is near! Whether you’re staying in Philadelphia, live near Philadelphia or just want to explore Philadelphia before you go back home for the holidays, here are some events and places you should check out!

Philly Holiday Festival

Photo courtesy of Philly Holiday Festival

Presented by One Liberty Observation Deck, Philly Holiday Festival began with the Thanksgiving Day parade on Thursday, November 23rd, from Benjamin Franklin Parkway. On November 24th of this year, Major Jim Kenny lit the Philly Holiday Tree in front of City Hall to kick off the Philly Holiday Festival! There is a carousel and cute little shops with unique holiday gifts for those who are looking to buy gifts for loved ones.

Franklin Square Holiday Festival

Photo courtesy of Visit Philly

Starting from November 9th through December 31st, Franklin Square Park is going to be decked with festive lights, holiday treats and holiday cheer. Electrical Spectacle light show is something you do not want to miss! With more than 50,000 lights with holiday tunes, it’s a free light show with kite flying, a huge lighted fountain and holiday trees. It also has a winter beer garden and areas to make s’mores and other holiday treats with your family and friends.

Wintergarden at Dilworth Park

Photo courtesy of Center City District

The Wintergarden at Dilworth Park opened on November 10th this year. Pop by to skate, walk, eat, shop and drink this holiday! Ice skate in the heart of Philadelphia with lights surrounding you, and if you get cold, warm up inside the cabin with seasonal drinks and yummy food! There’s also a holiday garden and you can even take gardening classes!

Christmas Village at LOVE Park

Photo courtesy of Phila Christmas

Reopened November 23rd this year, you can experience renovated LOVE Park decorated like winter wonderland. Here you can see and purchase European gifts, ornaments, jewelry, crafts and toys that are perfect for this holiday. There will also be unique seasonal drinks and food you may not encounter anywhere else!

Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest

Photo courtesy of Delaware River Waterfront

The annual Blue Cross River Rink Winterfest opened this November 24th and will stay open through March 4. Located right next to the Delaware River, you can ice skate on an Olympic-sized ice rink as you overlook the Delaware River. The whole place is decorated with shimmering lights and includes cozy cabins, arcade games, fire pits to make s’mores and a big Christmas tree.

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.