5 Things Curly-Haired People Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Having curly hair is an experience, especially when haircare tends to cater more towards our straight or wavy haired friends. Not only that, but there’s a whole range of different types of curls – from coils to loose ringlets, every curl is a little bit different. Still, I’m sure a lot of us have some common experiences.

1. For some of us, our parents had no clue how to deal with our hair.

My mom actually brushed my hair dry so that I had big poofy fluff on my head until 4th grade. And even then, it took me until 8th grade to figure out how to get things to function properly.

2. People always ask you if you would prefer straight hair

and get surprised when you say “…No?”

3. People have touched your hair without asking

since the beginning of time. I honestly can’t even bring myself to care anymore. Yes, the curls bounce. I know.

4. There’s only one person you trust to cut your hair.

To be honest, I don’t know what I would do without her. She has honestly changed my life.

5. You’ve been asked at least once, “Is that your natural hair?”

When I was a curly-haired toddler and my straight-haired mom would take me out, people sometimes asked if she got my hair permed. Yeah.

In the end, no matter what type of curls you have, embrace them! Every curl is beautiful.