This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Classes this semester are incredibly different being online, mainly due to the fact that we are no longer physically moving from class to class. Here are a few exercises I do during and between classes to keep my body strong and awake for a long day at Zoom University.

Neck and Shoulder Rolls

This stretch is a great way to start any 8 a.m. . Sit straight, and let your head fall slowly forward. Roll your head slowly from side to side, allowing the muscles in your neck to stretch. After, do the same with your shoulders. First, rolling them back slowly, then forwards. Add a little variety by trying to roll one forward and the other back, and switch! I usually do about 30 seconds on my neck and then 30 seconds on my shoulders.

Calf Raises (between classes)

After about every hour I spend on a Zoom call, I like to stand up and do some calf raises. Steady yourself using your desk or chair and raise your heels slowly before lowering them back down again. Repeat. I normally do 3 sets of 12 reps before preparing myself for the next Zoom call.

Leg Lifts

This exercise is great for doing during a zoom call when you begin to feel antsy (which I often do!). Sit up straight and keep your feet flat on the floor before lifting up one leg and holding it in the air for 5-10 seconds, depending on your comfort zone. Lower your leg, and repeat with the other. This exercise is great for engaging the lower core muscles, and I usually do anywhere between 12 and 24 reps.

Fingers and Wrist Stretch

College has always made sure our wrists and fingers are put to good use, and with all the typing we will have to be doing this semester, it is important to take a moment and stretch these muscles. This exercise is best done standing above your desk, placing your palms flat on the desk with your fingertips facing you (your hands should be laying backwards). Stay stretched in this position for about 30 seconds, or longer if needed.

Chest Stretch

This stretch is another way to release tension without having to stand up. Clasp your hands together behind your back and point your chest upwards. Hold for 15 seconds and then release.

Bonus exercise: Sit up straight!

I constantly find myself either slouching in my chair during class or lounging in bed as the professor lectures and, while comfy, it definitely isn’t doing me any favors in terms of having energy for the day. For Zoom University, I like to have a space where I can sit at a chair and engage as if I were in a classroom, and that includes having good posture. Sitting up straight helps the entire body work more efficiently, makes you seem more confident, and overall just feels better with practice. Try not to use the back of your chair during your next few lectures, and see how you feel!