4 Movies to Re-watch Just In time for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

It’s officially the month of October, which means it’s time to get in the spooky spirit… or at least celebrate the month of spookiness by watching some of the most beloved throwback Halloween films. Here are 4 classic Halloween films from our childhood to re-watch!

Twitches 1 & 2

After watching these films, I know I’m not the only one who got slightly scared of hearing the phrase “The Darkness.” It was fascinating to know how twin sisters were able to live double lives as artistic college students on Earth and royal princess with magic powers in another dimension called Coventry. Truly Inspiring! Not to mention, the twitches were able to transport between the two dimensions by walking through closet walls and driving cars into pools. “Go Twitches, Go Twitches!”

GIF courtesy of giphy

Halloweentown and All of its Sequels

Witches, warlocks, goblins and a taxi-driving skeleton named Benny are among the many creatures who make up Halloweentown.  This series of films chronicle the adventures of Marnie Piper, a witch who navigates her newly-discovered powers with the help of her grandmother Aggie, played by the iconic Debbie Reynolds. Marnie’s adventures often involve her trying to bridge the gap between the Mortal World and Halloweentown, allowing for inhabitants of each place to interact with the opposite group.  

GIF courtesy of giphy

The Haunted Mansion

In this 2003 film, Eddie Murphy plays a busy realtor who has to ensure his family makes it out alive of a ghost-dominated mansion. It features unusual love stories of both the living and the dead. Oh yeah, I’m sure you’ll be just as excited to hear Madame Leota’s (the crystal ball) classically sassy lines just as I am.  

GIF courtesy of giphy

Hocus Pocus

This film has become such a huge part of Halloween culture that it’ll likely be played numerous times on several different television stations on October 31st. It’s the story of a teen in Salem, Massachusetts who revives three witches 300 years after an incident where they cast a spell on a girl just to steal her youthfulness. The witches arrive in the 90’s era, which is hilarious to watch them adapt to, while chasing a new group of kids around town. Watching this movie will have you reliving the moments that made you question whether you truly wanted to dress up as a witch for Halloween or not.

GIF courtesy of giphy

English major candidate at Bryn Mawr College who loves people and delicious food!
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021