This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

The cooler weather is the perfect reason to grab a good book to go with your favorite warm beverage. Here are some novels to read this fall season:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

One of the many things associated with fall is the beginning of a new school year. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a coming-of-age novel about Charlie Kelmeckis’s first year of high school. He grapples with friendship, love, family and his perception of himself. This book will stir up your high school memories and make you enthusiastically root for Charlie’s happiness.

Image courtesy of Simon and Schuster

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Why not read an eerie mystery novel to get you in the mood for Halloween? Sharp Objects is about a journalist named Camille who, after many years, returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two children. During her stay, she revisits her own dark past and realizes this case could be more connected to her life than she originally thought. The uncanny setting of her hometown and the subtly malicious nature of her mother make this book a page-turner. What’s more, HBO has created a miniseries based on this psychological thriller starring Amy Adams. It’s the perfect time to read the book and watch the show.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

The changing leaves and the return of seasonal drinks at Starbucks can make you want to curl up in an armchair with a lighthearted, romantic YA novel. In Anna and the French Kiss, protagonist Anna Oliphant has been forced to move to France for her senior year of high school. At her new school, she makes new friends from different places and goes on adventures in the beautiful city of Paris. The novel focuses on Anna’s relationship with one of her peers, a boy named St. Clair, and their feelings for one another. This dreamy and charming book will definitely make you smile.

Image courtesy of Penguin Random House

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Maybe you’re in the mood for a romantic novel, but not about teenagers. Attachments is a book about an unconventional office romance. The protagonist is Lincoln O’Neil, an unmotivated man in his late 20s who lives with his mother. He gets an IT job at a newspaper that involves reading employees’ emails to make sure no one’s breaking company email regulations. He repeatedly comes across the emails of two friends, Beth and Jennifer, but doesn’t send them any warnings because he likes how witty, funny and kind they seem. He slowly starts to pick up hobbies and gets inspired to do more with his life. All the while, he doesn’t know what to do about his growing interest in Beth.

Vidya Ramaswamy

Bryn Mawr '20

Physics major from San Ramon, California.
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021