sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Zodiac Has Changed? Here’s Your New Astrological Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Are you sitting down? Good.

We have some BIG news for all you astrological gurus out there – the Zodiac has experienced some changes. Your life as you know it has potentially been a lie. It turns out that all of the dates in the Western Zodiac have shifted, each one starting a lot later. Oh yeah, they ALSO added a new sign. That’s right – whatever you previously thought was your astrological sign might now be something completely different!

This might be terrible news for some of you – if you have your former zodiac sign as a tattoo we send out our dearest apologies – but this might actually make lots of sense to you if you never felt like you truly identified with your original sun sign.

As a former unemotional Cancer and a new Gemini who’s always been easy-going, this information is actually kind of comforting because I finally understand why I never possessed any of the traits of my previous sign. *sigh of relief*

You might be wondering how this could have even happened – are there any ancient Babylonians running around making sudden changes to the calendar? Well, not exactly. We’re not astronomers by any means, but allegedly the moon’s gravitational pull has shifted Earth’s alignment in reference to the stars. This has caused the astrological constellations to be “pushed back” about a month.

And what about that new sign? If you were born November 30th to December 17th, you’re newly an Ophiuchus.

This sign has essentially always been a part of the astrological constellations, but when the Babylonians were determining Zodiacs, they were working with 13 signs and a 12-month calendar, so you can do the math there. They probably left Ophiuchus out because even for ancient Babylonians, this one was a little hard to pronounce.

So, this sign and constellation have always technically been there – and since we were already going to be all sorts of confused with the recent shift in dates, astrologists figured they might as well start using Ophiuchus as a cherry on top of all these changes.

If you’re wondering about this new sign, Ophiuchus signs are curious, passionate, open to change and have a great sense of humor. However, they’re also a bit egotistical and can be overly jealous. Even though this sign is relatively “new,” there’s already tons of information about them out there!

We don’t want to start any controversy, but below are the new Zodiac dates – we don’t make the rules ladies we just report them!

Capricorn: January 20 – February 16

Aquarius: February 17 – March 11

Pisces: March 12 – April 18

Aries: April 19 – May 13

Taurus: May 14 – June 21

Gemini: June 22 – July 20

Cancer: July 21 – August 10

Leo: August 11 – September 16

Virgo: September 17 – October 30

Libra: October 31 – November 23

Scorpio: November 23 – November 29

Ophiuchus:  November 30 – December 17

Sagittarius: December 18  – January 19

Whether you decide to listen to these new dates or not, hopefully, one of your zodiac signs helps to represent who you ~truly~ are!

Gif graphics by Giphy

Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper
Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.