A World They’ll Never Know: The Last to Remember 9/11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Photo

There is a new American generation, a generation that will learn about the biggest attack on our country in history books, rather than first hand. A generation that will hear about 9/11 as something that happened before they were born, just like the civil rights movement, or the World Wars. Fifteen years later, and we are one of the last classes that will remember 9/11 knowing exactly where we were when we heard the news, fearing for our families, and watching the tragedy unfold.

After reflecting this weekend about that inconceivable day, this was one thing that really hit hard. Look around at even the freshmen here at Bryant. They were just three and four years old at the time, and most do not remember September 11th, but have still grown up with is as a part of their lives. That generation is over; children younger than freshmen will never feel September 11th like we do. For the generations to come, 9/11 will be only a chapter in their history textbook and a story shared with them by older individuals, who will never forget the tragedies we witnessed in 2001.

September 11th, 2001 is a day that changed this country forever. Thousands of people dead, thousands of families that will forever be incomplete, and left without closure even to this day. An act of terrorism left this country torn at the seams, yet stronger than ever. People came together in so many ways; offering their condolence to grieving families, donating time and money to help those in need, and giving their strength and sometimes even lives to take down the awful people responsible. Our country might have suffered an incredible tragedy, but the strength and hope rallied in the wake of the destruction made America what it is today.

The generations to come will see our strength, our pride, and our willpower with their own eyes. Luckily for them, they won’t have the memories of watching the trauma unfold on television, hearing about it all over the news, and fearing the safety of their families. Luckily for them, they did not have to live through that day like we did. The pictures they see will seem “old”, lower quality than they’re used to, like other historic photos. Songs like “God Bless the USA” will sound familiar, but really never have that same connotation as we have from hearing it on repeat during that week.

A new generation is hopefully going to grow up without terrorism being a huge part of their childhoods. It’s strange to know we’re the last to feel that heartache so strongly.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected every day.

Bryant University Class of 2019I can watch a whole series on Netflix in less than a month and feel no remorse... same with eating an entire pint of Phish Food.