Women’s History Month: What it is and Why it is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Women’s History Month is celebrating the contribution of women throughout history during the month of March. Celebrations for women started in the 1980s when a Women’s week was celebrated during the week of March 7th. Later, in 1987 when more petitions were made to congress, March became the official month for Women’s history. We celebrate this month for the women before us who have stepped up and advocated for change. In this month, women can come together and reflect on the accomplishments made by women in history. This month celebrates all women that have made an impact in sports, laws, arts, and sciences.

There are many names we learn all about in school like Abigail Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Sojourner Truth, and Rosa Parks that have really impacted the world we live in today. By making sure we celebrate their accomplishments and honor them, we strive to push our future generations to make a difference in the world for women.

Every year, there is a different theme related to Women’s History Month. This year’s theme is Providing Healing and Promoting Hope. This theme was inspired as a tribute to caregivers and frontline workers for all that they have done throughout this pandemic.

This month is beautiful for the fact that we get to see women supporting one another. Women’s History Month really shows how big of a community we are and how powerful we are. We believe we should always celebrate a woman’s accomplishments even if it is not in the month of March. Doing so will let our voices be heard, continue to strive for change, and inspire future generations to do the same.

Karla Espino

Bryant '24

Student at Bryant University