Why You Shouldn’t Be Afraid of Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With everything going on in the world today, it’s almost hard for us to not be afraid of simple everyday tasks, such as riding on a train, going to the theater, or even going to work. Thoughout their daily lives people face fear, in their own homes, towns, states, and countries. What makes going abroad any different? It doesn’t.

Although I’ve never spent any longer than three weeks in a foreign country, and I live in the best country in the world, I need more. I am fully aware of what is happening in the world. I watch the news, I read the papers much like everyone else does. However, unlike many other Americans, I am not scared to leave the country that built me to see the beautiful other side of the world.

Do people not understand that there is an entire world beyond the small quarters that we live in? I’ve dipped my toes in the foreign waters, but I need to dive in. You can only learn so much from reading books, watching movies, and exploring through social media. I gained more knowledge about the Holocaust in my three weeks abroad than I have in a closed classroom for a whole semester. The top of the Eifel Tower is one of the most breathtaking views that this world has to offer, and Amsterdam is one hell of an experience. I would never have known this if I let fear cloud my judgment.

America is great, it’s the land of the free, but it also tricks you into forgetting that just a plane ride away is Italy; home of some of the best food in the world. Or Australia, home to some of the most amazing beaches around the world.

Don’t be afraid to travel just because of the awful crimes being committed. Because guess what, they are happening here in America too. We don’t even know if elementary schools are safe for kids anymore. We really don’t know anything, all we can do is be educated about the situation.

Being afraid of things is okay, but don’t let your fear keep you away from the experience of a lifetime.

I know that given the chance to go abroad right now, my answer would be yes. I hope that given the opportunity, you would say yes too. 

Boston Ma. Undergraduate at Bryant University.