This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Most of us have had a haircut that went wrong; if you haven’t had this issue, consider yourself very lucky! Walking out of the hair salon hating your new do is the worst feeling ever. After searching Pinterest for the perfect style and color, you wait a few weeks until your hairdresser has an opening. Finally, when the day comes, you can’t wait to see how it comes out! Of course, you’re going to post a selfie on Instagram once it’s done.

But what happens when the hairdresser spins you around to see the final product, and you are mortified? Do you say something? Do you cry? Do you cry especially because you probably dropped over $100 on it? Well collegiettes, we have some advice for you:

1. Tell your hairdresser: Nothing is worse than having to lie and pretend you like it. If the length is too short, there’s not much they can do for you. But if you wanted it shorter, just speak up and show them where you would like it cut.

2. Go home and reschedule a correction: If you got your hair colored and it’s too dark or too light, that’s an easy fix for a hairdresser. They can add darker dye or lighten your hair by stripping it. Scheduling a correction is usually free if you’re not happy. It’s embarrassing to go back, but you spent a lot of money for the service!

3. Call a new salon: When worse comes to worst, and you’re too mortified to go back to your hairdresser, call another salon. Then you can go to them and not hurt their feelings by telling them exactly how you would like it fixed. Unfortunately, this will cost you since it is not the same salon, but if you’re willing to spend that extra money, do it!

4. Keep calm, it’s just hair: Hair grows back? Yes. Hair color fades and roots come in? Yes. It is all up to you and your personal preference!

We’ve all been there, so don’t feel embarrassed by communicating to your hairdresser! Good luck! 

Marissa is a sophomore at Bryant University majoring in management and minoring in psychology. She is the Social Media chair at HC, which she absolutely loves! Her favorite past times are baking (esp. chocolate covered pretzels) and exercising. Marissa hopes to work for a large corporation when she graduates in May 2016.