This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Almost three months into school and you’re still waiting for the cute boy in your class to tap you on the shoulder, give you a compliment, and ask you on a date so you can fall in love and marry your college sweetheart. Although this is an unrealistic depiction of chivalry for MOST college guys, some of us still have high hopes that chivalry actually isn’t dead.

Guys, we get it, you’re not trying to “settle down” or “have anything serious.” We as girls understand that “its college and you’re trying to have fun.” Chances are, most of us girls don’t want to settle down either, but just because we’re not your “girl” doesn’t mean you should show us any less respect. We’re sure that is not how your mama raised ya!

When you’re walking in front of us, how hard is it for you to hold a door!? It takes .3 seconds out of your day, and chances are most girls will and do appreciate it. And no, clicking the handicap button to make sure the door stays open does NOT count. Sorry, but you’re just lazy.

Another simple and easy tip for keeping chivalry alive in college is knocking. Its college, our dorm doors are always open. Feel free to come over, but boys, be courteous and give a slight knock before barging into a room that you have no idea what’s going on in. For all you know we could be in the middle of our “just showered, still in a towel” jam session. Come in, just let us put clothes on first!

We know that in college you’re on a tight budget. As we all are. So we aren’t really expecting a story book date. However we are expecting some sort of a date. That could include taking us to the dining hall and pulling our chairs out for us, or even asking us to go see the movie that’s playing on campus. Trust us, we would rather you ask us to go get ice cream at “The Scoop”, than ask us to “Netflix and Chill.”

We girls are in no way asking for our college days to replicate an 80’s romantic comedy. Although, blaring a boom box playing our favorite song outside our dorm door wouldn’t be the worst thing you could do! We know your mama raised you right, so open the door for the girl, be polite, and respect her wishes. Oh, and if you ever do want to settle down… “Will you be my girlfriend” is the ultimate statement that reminds us chivalry is not dead.

Boston Ma. Undergraduate at Bryant University.