A Tribute to Joan Rivers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

On September 4, 2014 the world suddenly got a little less funny.  Joan Rivers, whom most of our generation knew from hosting Fashion Police and red carpet coverage of award shows on E! Network, was also a trail blazer for women in the entertainment industry.  Before her spot on the red carpet, Joan landed a guest appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1965, and was later established as a guest host in 1983.  In 1986 Joan led the way for women once more by beginning The Late Show which rivaled the show she started her career with.  Later she cemented her spot covering award shows on E! Network alongside her beloved daughter, Melissa Rivers.  She became the host of Fashion Police on E! Network in 2010.

Joan’s death was untimely and tragic, having gone into cardiac arrest during a routine throat procedure at the age of 81.  She was rushed to the hospital where she rested comfortably on life support for a few days before finally passing on the 4th. 

One thing is for sure, Joan lived a very full life while she was alive.  Not only did she have many jobs on TV, she was an author, a mother and grandmother, as well as a tireless philanthropist. 

We will remember Joan Rivers for her outrageous humor and wildly successful career of making millions of people laugh.