Top 10 Songs for 10 Years of Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The first episode of the iconic CW hit Gossip Girl aired on September 19, 2007 and has since then been at the forefront of pop culture.  GG dictated what was cool and what could be tossed out like last season’s Manolos.  We’ve compiled some favorites in honor of the 10 year anniversary, because even though it’s been off air for 4 years, we would follow the trends of “Manhattan’s elite” forever.

We’ve listed 10 songs that are either immediately recognizable to any GG fan, or were played during key scenes.  

Hard to Live in the City – Albert Hammond, Jr. 

S01 E01 Pilot

This plays in the Pilot when all the kids (because, yes, they were still kids then) are in the limo going to Kiss on the Lips.  

What Goes Around…Comes Around – Justin Timberlake

S01 E01 Pilot

Season 1 Episode 1 was iconic.  Obviously this is a well known song, but we can picture Serena stepping out of the cab to head into the Waldorf’s penthouse whenever we hear this song.  

With Me – Sum 41

S01 E07 Victor, Victrola

This episode changed the entire course of Gossip Girl history.  In this moment, Chair was born. 

Secret – The Pierces

S01 E10 Hi, Society

GG did it WAY before PLL, just so you know.  The Cotillion is the social event of the year, and they always chose racy performers, but the first season’s choice in was our favorite. 

The Ice is Getting Thinner – Death Cab for Cutie

S01 E18 Much ‘I Do’ About Nothing

This song by itself is tragically beautiful, but couple it with Dan and Serena dancing for the last time as a couple (for now) and Chuck and Blair starting off their relationship (or so they thought), and we’re all in tears.

Watcha Say – Jason Derulo

S03 E11 The Treasure of Serena Madre

On Thanksgiving the Upper East Siders dish out much more than just turkey.  GG laid this average pop song over the biggest scandal of the season — Serena’s affair with Tripp Vanderbilt.  

New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down – LCD Soundsystem 

S02 E02 Never Been Marcused

By season 2 our favorite UES have started to involve themselves in much more complicated problems, and this song depicts that perfectly.  

Good Girls Go Bad – Cobra Starship

S03 E02 The Freshman

Remember when Leighton Meester tried her hand at a music career?  It may have been short lived, but it made for an instant 2009 hit and the perfect backdrop for a NYU rooftop party. 

I Can Feel a Hot One – Manchester Orchestra

S02 E03 The Dark Knight

Another sad Derena break-up song, but this time we knew it was for real because it happened in an elevator.  

Road to Nowhere – Release the Sunbird

S06 E10 New York, I Love You, XOXO

This is what we waited 6 seasons for.  We loved that Blair and Chuck’s wedding wasn’t elaborate; their love was what was front and center, not an elaborate ceremony.