Theodore Spanos: Hot Dog Hottie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.
Name: Theodore Spanos

Graduation Year: 2016

Major/Minor: Finance Major, Marketing & Communication Minors

Hometown: Garden City, NY, Strong Island/Long Island

On campus activities: Bryant Men’s Soccer

HC: What was your strategy for the contest, and how did you execute it?

TS: It was all a mindset. I was challenged by a dear friend, Mr. Zachary Cardaci, to compete in this competition a week prior. Mentally I had been preparing for this moment the entire week, but cowardly, Mr. Cardaci dropped out at the last minute. Honestly, I was really hungry going into the competition, so basically my goal was to just casually eat some hot dogs. Once they told me I was in first, I just kept pace. I scared myself once we came to overtime because I got my second wind and felt I could have easily kept going.

HC: What were your thoughts halfway through?

​TS: Halfway through you realize that your stuck and there’s really no turning back. It was the biggest struggle of the whole contest. I’m sure I can speak for everyone and say we all slowed down pace and hit a brick wall. If it weren’t for my manager, Third Osgood Michael, I don’t know how much farther I could have gone. The crowd was really into it also that gave me an extra boost.

HC: Were you able to eat anything else post contest?

​TS: No, I did not eat anything the rest of the day. I technically did eat 23 hot dogs that day, as I had a hot dog for breakfast, which was oh so blissfully prepared for me by my personal chef, known as the Dad of the senior class, Mr. James Grant. I actually felt really good up until about Sunday night where the effects really got to me. I actually ended up losing 8 pounds the following week because my stomach was too messed up and I physically wasn’t able to eat very much. To be honest, I probably ate more Tums than food that week. It took me until the following Friday to feel like my normal self. Would I do it again, probably not, but I must say it was so worth it. If I was eating that many hot dogs, there was no way I was going to let myself lose.

HC: How did it feel to win?

​TS: First off, shout out to the founding father of this event, Mr. Justin Howe. Hopefully this will turn into a tradition here at Bryant for years to come. To be honest, I am probably way more proud than I should be after winning this thing. It’s definitely a resume booster. All I can say is that hopefully companies interviewing me down the road have some sense of humor. I am also embarrassed to say, but yes, the belt is currently hanging over my bed. In addition, having the championship belt being handed off to me by last year’s champion, Mr. Kyle Jennings, was quite a breathtaking experience.

HC: Tips for next year’s contestants?

​TS: Take more shots because they help you get the hot dogs down. Also ask for ketchup or mustard. Would have definitely been a game changer.