The Thank You Letter Template You’ve Been Waiting For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

We know how frustrating writing a thank you letter can be after an interview.  But the thing is, you need one.  Below is our template of sending a thank you letter after an interview-we suggest not waiting more than 48 hours after your interview to either send a mail letter or e-mail.  If you send a letter through the mail, don’t forget about the weekend when most businesses are closed.  Also, if you are unsure on whether to write a hand-written letter or send an e-mail, think of the company.  A tech company for instance is more applicable for e-mails!  

Template

Dear Mr./Mrs. Last Name, (or it is okay to put Dear First Name Last Name,)

Paragraph 1: The first paragraph should thank the hiring manager for taking the time to interview you for XYZ position at XYZ company on this date.  Try to squeeze in something personal here for them to remember you by (did you talk about your favorite sports team, did they ask for a great restaurant in the area..etc. anything for them to connect you with)

Paragraph 2: The second paragraph should include the reasons why you are a strong candidate for the position.  Re-list specific skills that relate to the job you interviewed for.

Paragraph 3 (optional): Anything you wish you mentioned during the interview but didn’t get the chance to discuss or forgot to mention

Closing: Reiterate your appreciation for being considered for the position, if any further information is needed to contact you, and let the hiring manager know you are looking forward to hearing back form him or her soon.

Sincerely,

Your signature  

Sample

Dear Bob Adams,

Thank you very much for taking the time on Wednesday October 5th to sit down with me to discuss the Operational Leadership Development Program with Forever 21—I thoroughly enjoyed talking about the position as well as both of our love for fashion!

After speaking with you, I believe I would be the perfect candidate for this position, offering my fashion expertise, customer service experience, and adaptability that will be needed.

Thank you again for taking the time to sit down with me.  If you would like any additional information, you can reach me at (555)-555-5555 or abcd@comcast.net.  I look forward to hearing back in the near future.

Sincerely,

Lori McCarthy

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.