Target X Prabal Gurung hits Jackpot Collab After Neiman Marcus Failure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Target’s recent collaboration with newcomer designer Prabal Gurung is the most successful collaboration the Minneapolis based retailer has experienced since their famous Missoni collaboration in 2011. The limited edition collection, launched on Sunday, literally sold out within 24 hours. On EBay, vendors are auctioning of the floral dress pictured above for 150% of the original price. 

Gurung’s collaboration with Target is absolutely perfect for many reasons. For one, the Target customer got exactly what they were promised–a Prabal Gurung collection which mimicked his designs that had been spotted on celebrities. Items in the limited edition collection could fit seemingly into a Prabal Gurung New York Fashion Week showing. Customers who are not aware of who Prabal Gurung is still get the chance to purchase fashion forward clothes that are in the same price range as other apparel items at Target.

The Neiman Marcus collection offered Target customers counter intuitive products at price points that were way above retailer’s expected price points. The average Target customer did not want to purchase dog leashes and pet bowls from designers renowned for their red carpet couture gowns (i.e. Oscar de la Renta).

The young designer was the winner of the CFDA x Swarovski Up and Coming Designer award in 2010. His designs have been spotted on some of the most fashion forward and celebrated modern female public figures-namely, Michelle Obama, Duchess Kate Middleton, and Sarah Jessica Parker. Fashion lovers who are fans of his coveted designs were undoubtedly quick to snatch up his affordable designs at Target. This collaboration came at the right time for Target; particularly due to the shame the retailer faced after the failed Neiman Marcus collaboration. 

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.