Studying Tips You’ll Need for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Finals unfortunately have to come each year.  Dreadful? Yes. There’s no avoiding them and more than likely you will be spending more time scrolling through Her Campus articles, hilarious memes, and stalking old friends from high school on Facebook.  In our best effort to help you avoid procrastinating and nail your finals, below we have come up with a few studying tips. 

Find the right place

Some people need it to be absolutely quiet, so a classroom or the third floor of the library is the best places to go.  However, some people need noise and movement.  If you’re one of those people, try and study in the Fisher Center!  Throwing in some headphones with peaceful music gives you just enough of the quiet relaxed environment and people passing give just enough of the movement to not drive you up the wall.  Finding the right place to study will make or break how well you retain information, so choose wisely!

Split up chapters

If you have friends in class, ask if you can each take a chapter or two to outline.  This works very well for exams that are cumulative or heavy in textbook information.  Splitting up chapters is not only a huge time saver but it also gives some variation in your study guide.  Your friends may find stuff that you wouldn’t typically pick out as necessary information, and vice versa!

Choose good snacks

We know how tempting it is to eat chips and dip at 1am but try your best to eat more practical snacks for studying like apples and peanut butter!

Make flash cards

Whether you end up really using the flash cards is up to you but just the act of writing down definitions and repeating them as you write them down is a great study tool.   If you do choose to use them, carry them around with you!  Flash cards are small enough to fit in your purse-you never know when you’ll have some down time.

Study Groups

Once you’ve nailed down a good chunk of your material, e-mail your class and ask if anyone wants to get together the night before the exam to review.  Some people may have a slight idea of what an essay may be or others may have some great study guides to pass around.

Get sleep

Sleep cannot be stressed enough during finals-your brain needs rest!  Try your best to get those 8 hours of dreaming in before an exam-you’ll more than likely wake up refreshed and ready for your exam!

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.