Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Don’t have the money to go on a Caribbean get-away with your friends?! Don’t worry, Her Campus Bryant wants to make sure you have a memorable Spring Break wherever you may end up. Make the most of your week without classes and do something fun! There are plenty of last-minute affordable Spring Break plans that don’t involve tanning oil and the beach!

Take a Train to the Big City!

NYC:

Amtrack tickets
(or the more affordable Peter Pan busses) are a small price to pay for a day trip to your favorite city! Wake up early because there are plenty of things to do in NYC besides shop. In fact, there are plenty of things you can do for FREE! Keep an open mind and be adventurous. After all, those are the unwritten rules of Spring Break.

First comes first, start your day off with an early morning yoga workout at lululemon union square. An instructor holds free yoga sessions every saturday right outside in the fresh air, so jump in with a friend and start your day off more refreshed than ever! From there, why not take a tour? There are free tours all over the place; you just have to keep your eyes peeled. To name a few, you can tour Chelsea Brewing Company, or the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (free admission every Tuesday). Another place to visit is the Brooklyn Arts Council. The week of our Spring break they’re having a funny laugh-out-loud art show on the second floor of the building! Speaking of laugh out loud, have you been to the comedy cellar?! There are several standup comics that perform at 9 and 11 each night, and I promise you it’s a guaranteed great time! For a full list of fun things to do in New York City, check out www.nycgo.com.

Boston:
Much like NYC, there are plenty of FREE things to do in Boston. Get some exercise and take a walk by the Charles River, it’s beautiful in the Spring time! Visit Quincy Market and the surrounding area. There are plenty of cool stores to bounce in and out of.

Can’t figure out what to do for St. Patrick’s Day? Go to Boston! The huge Irish population in Boston knows how to celebrate a holiday! Not only are the Drop Kick Murpheys playing at the House of Blues on March 15th-16th , they also have a festive St. Patrick’s Day parade each year. The parade starts at 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 18th in South Boston. You don’t even have to be Irish to attend; you’ll be among a million people of various heritages, so just wear green and a big smile because it’s a guaranteed good time!

[pagebreak]

Spring Skiing/Snowboarding!

Yes, we’ve been blessed with a warm winter, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still take your skis/snowboard out of the closet over Spring Break! There’s nothing better than cruising down the mountain in a sweatshirt! Check out a new mountain by you and explore every trail! Here is a complete list of the ski resorts in New England.

Take a Spontaneous Road Trip!

All you need are a few good friends, good music, and lots of snacks for the road! This can get costly so you’ll have to do some planning in order to get the most for your money. Some fun and relaxing get-a-ways that come to mind are Cape Cod and Burlington VT. These places are beautiful in their own way and packed with fun things to do during the day! On your way to Vermont, don’t forget to treat yourself to the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory located in Waterbury, VT (you deserve it!).

If you’re looking to do something more outrageous, plan a trip to Montreal Canada! Montreal is full of young college students on Spring Break. At night the streets are lined with people coming to and from the local bars and clubs. There are plenty of affordable hotels and activities; it’s been deemed a young person’s paradise. Oh, and it doesn’t hurt that the drinking age is 18. Anywhere you road trip to this Spring Break will leave will leave you with life long memories – so have a blast, take a bunch of pictures, and make it count!

Ben & Jerry’s Photo Credit: http://www.rv-trips.com/rv-destinations/sight-seeing/ben-jerrys-factory

Makena is a senior at Bryant University, studying International Business, Marketing and Spanish. In addition to co-founding Her Campus at Bryant, Makena is a published author, a peer mentor for Academic Programs International, works as a research assistant on campus, and is over-involved in general (and loving it). When she isn’t running frantically between classes, work and meetings, Makena enjoys travel, good Tex-Mex and getting lost in a great book.