This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

One of the most influential lessons Bryant teaches its students is that internships are a great opportunity to test out a job or company. After choosing your college and major, deciding upon a path for post-graduation can be an extremely important and difficult process. For some, their internships help them learn exactly what they do NOT want in a career, such as an overbearing boss or company, while others find their dream employer. In either case, the internships prove to be beneficial because they allow us to discover our most successful work environments, our strengths and weaknesses, and our ultimate career path opportunities.

This past summer, I had a 13 week paid internship with L.L.Bean at their Flagship store in Freeport, Maine. For those of you who are unfamiliar, L.L.Bean is a mail-order, online, and retail company that has been in business since 1912. They specialize in clothing and outdoor recreational equipment and believe in making classic, long-lasting, high-functioning products that are inspired by living life outdoors. They value high quality and durability, which is apparent in their longstanding 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

Throughout the internship, I built relationships, gave and accepted critical feedback, and focused on my personal growth. From those efforts, I was able to successfully assimilate and adapt to a new professional environment. Additionally, I developed my time management and collaboration skills, while learning about the operations and management behind L.L.Bean and grasping a deeper understanding of the retail industry as a whole. One of my favorite aspects was that I was given great flexibility to shape the internship around my interests and what I wanted to gain. With that flexibility, I ended up spending most of my time hands-on in the store interacting with customers and representatives and working with management to develop marketing promotion and training materials. Overall, I was faced with a breadth of new experiences which both educated me and opened my mind to exciting opportunities for my future.

Growing up in Maine, I have had a strong affinity for L.L.Bean since I was young. I started Kindergarten with their Deluxe Book Pack and would not get through frigid winters today without their Wicked Good Moccasins. I never found it difficult to align myself with a company whose values, products, and transparency are truly admired by so many. Though I plan to pursue potential Corporate Marketing positions following graduation, I left at the end of the summer with a greater respect for the brand and an understanding that I would always support the company, even if I did not end up working for them again.

In conclusion, I had a great experience and encourage anyone who is interested in L.L.Bean to apply for their summer internship program!

To find out more about L.L.Bean and what they stand for, watch the short video titled “We Believe.”

Major: Marketing & Management Minor: Communications Interests: Fitness, nutrition, fashion, comedy Goals: To have the ambition of Beyonce, the hilarity of Tina Fey, the poise of Emma Watson and the legs of Carrie Underwood Favorite quote: "Dream big and dare to fail."