Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Even if you’ve never thought about going Greek, never talked to anyone in a sorority, or never even heard of formal recruitment, you should still go to Bryant University’s sorority recruitment! The process is non-committing, meaning you can always decide not to join, and is a great way to meet new girls and leaders on campus. All three sororities will be present – Sigma Sigma Sigma, Delta Zeta, and Alpha Omicron Pi – so you will easily make a new friend! If you are looking to get more involved at Bryant, want the sisterhood a sorority brings, or are just trying to figure out if going Greek is right for you, then go to this year’s sorority formal recruitment!

The event starts on Thursday, February 7th at 8:30pm with an ice cream social in Pappito. On Friday and Saturday, everyone will get broken up into groups to go meet each sorority separately, who will each have a fun and unique theme day and philanthropy day planned for you! These two days are the best to learn about what makes each sorority special, and make sure to meet as many people as you can! On Sunday, each sorority has preference ceremonies for the girls they are most interested in. Then lastly, Monday is Bid Day where the girls find out if they are accepted into the sorority. A more detailed schedule with times can be found at the link below.

So, this article wouldn’t be complete unless I shared why I joined Greek life. When I came to Bryant as a freshman, I honestly had no intention of joining a sorority. I had a stereotypical view of Greek life and I didn’t want to be a part of a selective organization. Then in my first semester, I met a couple of girls who were in a sorority. During our conversation they asked me if I was interested in joining a sorority. I truthfully told them I wasn’t because I didn’t want a sorority to interfere with my school work, which is my top priority at Bryant. They said they understood and insisted I meet one of their sisters.  She was just like me, focused on academics and involved on campus. She explained that even though joining a sorority is a commitment, all the girls are supportive of your studies and are even here to help you out! I ended up becoming great friends with her and many other girls in the sorority. It was then I realized that I wanted to become Greek and be a part of a large sisterhood, not a clique like I had originally thought. By joining a sorority you are joining a friendship for life, and I will never regret my decision.

When you join a sorority, you’re also becoming a part of the Greek life community. At Bryant especially, Greek life is like a second family. From participating in Greek Week, other chapters’ philanthropy events, and other Greek Life sponsored activities, you get to know people from all the affiliations. You often see Greeks studying together, at the gym, or just hanging out. But not only is joining a sorority great for networking, but you also have numerous opportunities to be a leader – in your sorority, on the Pan-Hellenic Executive Board, in Gamma or Omega, or in any of the multiple organizations Greek life is involved with. Besides filling up your resume, being a part of Greek life opens up fun opportunities too! Greek Week is the most fun week of the year, where each chapter battles in entertaining competitions like lip-syncing or a three legged race. It even ends with a banquet where awards and recognition goes out to exceptional students and chapters. There are so many perks to Greek life and you’ll learn more through formal recruitment!

If you are even slightly interested in joining Greek Life, definitely go to formal recruitment! There is no pressure to join, and it is a great way to meet new people. Sign up here!