The Single Girl’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s that time of year again; the day that many of us have been dreading. Whether you’re single, having guy issues, or even in a long distance relationship, the thought of spending Valentine’s Day “alone” is never appealing. But every year there is something that all of us forget; that you’re not alone! Love is not just for couples; you have family and friends who love you as well. So if you’ve just gone through a breakup, or have been single for quite some time now, don’t worry! These ideas are sure to put you in a better mood on February 14th.

• Spread Valentine’s Day cheer: Buy cheap valentines at target or you can even get creative and make your own! Write silly or sentimental messages on them to hand out to your suitemates, neighbors, and friends.
  • Go on a shopping spree: We all know that retail therapy is the best kind of therapy.  If you live in the Providence area, hit up the Providence Place Mall for the day, or spend some time on Thayer Street. Don’t have money to spend? Window shopping is fun too!
  • Take a Yoga Class:  On our campus, many many different types of exercise classes such as spinning, yoga, and zumba are offered at the Chace Athletic Center on a daily basis. These classes will help you unwind and feel less stressed. You can also blow off steam at the gym if you don’t feel like taking a class.
  • Go Bowling: When was the last time you’ve been bowling? Take your friends or suitemates to the nearest bowling alley and play a few games. It will definitely lighten your mood and make you laugh!
  • Host a movie marathon: Make some popcorn, get cozy, and pick a few movies to watch for the night. If you want to celebrate the fact that it’s Valentine’s Day, watch sappy love movies. If not, scary movies and comedies are always fun too.
  • Secret Santa (Valentine’s Day Edition): Pick names out of a hat and swap presents with your suitemates. Write cheesy cards and buy each other flowers or chocolate. You’ll immediately forget about being single and focus on the fact that you love your friends!
  • Skype with your family: Valentine’s Day is about love, which means your family is included too. Have a long Skype session with your siblings, and catch up with your parents. It will remind you of how much they mean to you and they will appreciate it as well.
  • Get a mani/pedi: This is your day to relax! Go to the spa alone or with your friends to be pampered and treated like a princess.
  • Dinner with your friends: Spend time with the people who matter. Go out to a nice dinner in Providence with your best friends-like The Melting Pot for some chocolate fondue for dessert.
  • Karaoke: Have a Karaoke night in your suite/dorm room. Make a playlist of Taylor Swift songs or ‘90’s girl power songs such as the Spice Girls and sing your heart out with your friends.