SIE Experience – A Personal Story in China

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

I went to China, on a trip that I knew would be once in a lifetime, but more so I thought it was a place I would never go again. After one of the best trips of my life I can say I definitely want to go back!

I participated in SIE-an acronym for Sophomore International Experience here on Bryant’s campus. It’s a two-week adventure for sophomores geared towards getting a cultural experience. During my two week trip to China, myself, 27 other students, and 4 Bryant faculty members went to Beijing, Yangshuo, Zhuhai, and Hong Kong.  They were the busiest (not to mention tiring) weeks of my life.  In Beijing, we went to the Forbidden City and the Olympic Park, climbed the Great Wall and had lunch with President Machtley!  In Yangshuo, we went mountain biking, explored a cave and went rock climbing.  In Zhuhai, we visited Bryant’s sister school in China, the Beijing Institute of Technology: Zhuhai.  In Hong Kong, we had a free day and my friends and I went to the number one amusement park in the world. And those were just the biggest highlights, we did so many more things-each day had a full itinerary from around 8 am to 9 pm!  It was crazy how one day we were in business clothes touring a company, and the next day I was in yoga pants climbing 60 feet up the side of a mountain.  

It’s hard to choose one favorite part of the trip, but I know by far, Hong Kong was my favorite city. I would even live there without question; it felt as if I was in America.  One of the activities that I will always remember was climbing the Great Wall. The view and the enormity of the wall was astonishing.  The only part of the trip I had even the slightest complaint about was the food.  While I am a somewhat picky eater, the food was far too different from anything served as “Chinese food” here in the U.S. If I could explain it at all, I’d just tell you every part of every animal is served on the table.  There was a chicken head on the plate six nights in a row at dinner!  This is a cultural shock for sure, but it’s great to experience nonetheless. I’d recommend bringing some snacks for this trip like I did and then you’ll be fine!  

If anyone is questioning going on SIE, my biggest advice is: just do it.  It would be impossible to have done everything I did, during those two weeks if I had not traveled with Bryant.  Bryant gives students an amazing opportunity that should not be missed. What better way to get three credits for a class then to travel! (Disclaimer: honestly there is a lot of work to do for the China SIE trip, but in return the itinerary of the trip is by far the best). Words can’t begin to truly describe my experience.  Ask anyone who’s been on SIE-it’s a memory everyone loves and would love to be able to do again!  Of course, I especially recommend going to China!