Short, but Not Short on Style:How to Wear the Beloved Crop Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With crop tops, you don’t need to show off your whole stomach (and possibly the dozens of quesadillas you had Friday for dinner) to look good when you go out.  There are tons of different crop top styles: flowy sweater ones, lace long sleeves, tight bandeau styles, and high crop and low back pieces, which allow for a plethora of different looks.  With the perfect bottoms and accessories, you too can rock the crop top craze. The tops are incredibly easy, but the wrong combo can take your outfit from hot to horrible, so make sure you consider a few of these tidbits:

1.  With high-waist pants: High-waist pants are definitely a go-to with a crop top (and especially for this not-so-warm “spring” weather)! The two together make you appear polished. DON’T wear them to class: your professor doesn’t need to know if you have an innie or an outie.

Urban Outfitters, $58

2. High-waist shorts: Only a sliver of skin shows, the shorts are quite comfortable, AND you end up looking cute!

Top: Free People, $38

Bottoms: Forever21, $13.99

3.  Note: If you do wear pants that don’t have a high waist, at least make sure the shirt is somewhat flowy (like Rihanna, left) and not strictly a bandeau type shirt (like Britney, right). 

Lulu’s, $54

4.  If you’re uncomfortable with wearing the skin tight shirt paired with the items mentioned in the previous, wear a sweater crop top instead!  This way, your shirt is flowy and boxy, making it less scary than something super tight.  Pair it will a tight skirt, shorts, or jeans, and it will still look flattering!

Tobi, $62

5.  With cut off shorts: Pair a long sleeved crop top shirt/lightweight sweater with frayed shorts to avoid exposing too much skin.  It screams cute and stylish.

6.  With a pencil skirt: Make the crop top seem a bit more conservative and classy.  Totally acceptable for dinners, too.  A colorful printed skirt could be easily paired with a neutral color crop top, and vice versa.  

Forever21, $5.80 (Steal!)

7.  With same color bottom pieces: This way, it will look as though you purchased the two pieces together.  The end result looks like a one piece dress, while adding a bit of flare to your outfit.  

Forever21, $8.80

8.  With a midi skirt:  The midi skirt prevents you from feeling as though you’re overexposed, and the two together make such a cute combo!

If you aren’t feeling the super bright and bold crop tops, opt for one in a basic color such as black, white, navy, or grey.  To make it pop, add colorful accessories like a bold necklace or earrings!

Megi is the Snapshot Chair for HerCampus Bryant!•Position: Fashion and Style/ Snapshot Editor•Class:  Senior 2015•Hometown: Waterbury, CT •Major/Minor: Biology/Business Administration •Fun Fact: Can speak Albanian!