Rick Garceau – The Sales Competition Winner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Richard Garceau

Year: 2014

Major/ minor: Marketing

Hometown: North Attleboro, MA

HC: How did you become interested in sales and the sales competition?

RG: I became interested in sales after speaking with other Bryant students who had completed internships in sales and after taking Dr. Boyer’s Professional Selling course. After my internship with EMC in sales this past summer I knew sales would be a great way for me to start my career. I participated in my first sales competition last spring as part of the Professional Selling course. I wanted to participate this fall to represent Bryant against other schools and demonstrate the skills I had developed over the summer. As always, the other schools couldn’t compete with Bryant as 3 of the top 4 finalists were from Bryant.

HC: What do you think is the main factor(s) that has lead you to win the sales competition?

RG: The skillset I developed as an intern and the confidence I had with my experience with EMC gave me an edge in the competition.

HC: Do you have any advice for future sales competitors?

RG: Confidence is key. If you are confident and believe in what you’re doing people will want to do business with you.

HC: What are some of your favorite things about Bryant?

RG: It sounds cliché but I love the family atmosphere here. It may be a small school in terms of population but everyone knows everyone and that’s something you don’t see at a larger university. We have a close community and everyone cares about one another and that makes the stressful process of college a lot simpler. I also enjoy working in the President’s Office. Being able to work with the Machtley’s and the entire office staff as well as other administrators has been an incredible opportunity for me to grow as a professional.  

HC: What are you future goals and aspirations after Bryant? Does it involve a career in sales?

RG: I will be starting my career in sales with EMC next summer. It is an amazing company with a lot of opportunity for growth. Long term I would like to get an MBA and a Doctorate in higher education administration to work in administration at a university (maybe Bryant).  

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.