courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rave Responsibly: Tips for Safe Drinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Whether you’re going out clubbing in the city or partying on campus, be smart about the decisions you make! Yes, we’re all young and want to let loose, but please be safe when you go out! Here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind that will guarantee a fun and safe night out:

1. Carb up!

Eat well before you go out – we’re sure you’ve all heard this lecture a hundred times before, but this is just another reminder to not drink on an empty stomach. Drinking on an empty stomach will make your BAC (blood alcohol content) rise a lot faster and you’ll be more likely to pass out or blackout (no fun…). Be sure to eat a good meal before drinking and remember to stay hydrated as well!

2. Know your limits

Use your best judgement – you know yourself better than anyone else, so be smart about how much and what you drink.

3. Stay with your friends

Buddy system or nothing. Sticking with friends you can trust keeps everyone safe from any possible dangerous situations. When you go out as a big group it’s easy to lose each other, so find a system that works with your friend group – like using the Find my Friends App or planning a meetup spot at the end of the night.

4. Make a plan to get home safely

Uber, Lyft, find a DD for the night – whatever you do, do not drink and drive. We’ve heard it before and we all need to hear it again. When you chose to drink off-campus, whether it’s a bar, restaurant, or into Providence, plan ahead to make sure you and your party get back safe. Pro tip – look up free Uber/ Lyft coupons and codes online! Drunk driving is not safe for you, or anyone around you!

5. Don’t put your drink down

Seriously, do not leave your drink unattended. Parties, bars, and clubs can be sketchy and you never know who might slip something into your drink. Stay safe and be aware of your surroundings.

For more drinking tips or to learn more about drinking safely – follow Bryant University’s GAMMA (Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol) on Twitter and look out for their events during National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week this month.

College Senior from CT