Proof That Communication Is Not an Empty Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Many people bash communication as a major, but what they don’t understand is that you can go anywhere with that major! As a communication major you have developed speaking, writing, presenting and debating skills. Effective communication skills are essential in just about every job industry, whether it is maintaining relationships with clients and customers or developing digital media. Here are a few job options for your future!

Public Relations:  A PR specialist is the middle man between a client and the public. You manage the flow of information such as interviews, speeches or press releases to create a public image for the client. To be an effective PR specialist you must have speaking and writing skills. The median pay for this career is $57,500.

Marketing Manager: A marketing manager will work with advertising and promotion managers to increase a firm’s goods and services. Their main goal is to increase profits while ensuring the customer’s satisfaction. A bachelor’s degree in communication and strong verbal, written, and organizational skills are a need for this position. The median salary for marketing managers is $127,130.

Journalism: As a journalist you must know how to research, document, write and be able to present information in an honest, ethical and unbiased way. You will spend a lot of your time interviewing people, fact checking, building contacts and pitching story ideas while meeting deadlines. The average salary for a journalist is $44,030.

Media Planner:  A media planner is responsible for deciding the best way to communicate a company’s message. Other responsibilities include: identifying target audiences, using different forms of media to reach audiences, and working with newspapers, magazines, cable services and television stations. A communication major has all the necessary skills to necessary for this career.  The median salary for this career is $50,795.