Post Interview Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1.      The very first thing to do after an interview is ask questions. Make sure you’ve researched the company and the position, and ask questions to clarify. It shows the interviewer that you’re taking the position seriously and are prepared. Some sample questions include:

a.      What qualities are you looking for?

b.      What have others done to succeed in the past?

c.      Can I clarify anything about my experience? 

2. Send a thank you note. A personalized note or email lets the interviewer know that you value their time. While handwritten notes are a nice touch, emails are often the most practical option. Be sure to express your gratitude for the interviewer. Some samples can be found here

3. Follow up properly. Make sure the hiring manager remembers you, but don’t bother them with unnecessary questions. Managers often take a long time to make hiring decisions and may not always contact you if you don’t get the job. Check in once to share something that shows you can be asset, but don’t become a nuisance. 

Overall, the most important thing to do after an interview is take a deep breath and congratulate yourself for making it through. Interviews can be difficult, but if you follow these tips, you’ll be sure to stand out when managers make their decisions. 

Shruti Kansara is a sophomore at Bryant University majoring in international business with a double concentration in applied analytics and computer information systems and a double minor in French and international affairs. In her spare time, she volunteers with Dorcas International Institute of Rhode Island and serves as a local titleholder for the Miss Rhode Island America organization.