An Open Letter to My Mom and Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Hi Mom, hi Dad; it’s your little girl. We know we may not be “little” anymore, but we promise the girl who would lay in your arms forever is still in here. We may not be riding our pink Barbie Jeeps or dancing to Barney all day anymore, but we’re still the little girl who admires her parents more than you can ever imagine. We know we may not tell you enough, but your immense support, love, care and energy you have given us throughout our entire lives are the most valuable gifts we could have ever received, and we appreciate you infinitely. We may drive you crazy sometimes, but we could not thank you more for being our parents.

We know we’re a lot to handle, and always have been. From throwing our chicken noodle soup all over the floor in our high chairs, to throwing clothes all over our rooms now, we may make your lives a little messier. Just know that throughout all the mess we may have caused you, you always knew how to clean up our lives and make everything okay again. You know exactly what to say when we cry about the boy who broke our hearts, and you know exactly how to get us out of the little bit of trouble we might have caused this weekend. You care about our heartbreaks, and save us when we’re down, even if there’s an argument or two along the way. Thank you for always loving us, no matter what we may throw your way (or across the room).

You’ve always been our biggest supporters. Dad, we know six hour long dance recitals weren’t your favorite way to spend Saturdays, but just know seeing your smiling face in the crowd was a true blessing. Mom, we know you’ve hated some of the boyfriends we’ve brought home throughout the years, but thank you for always welcoming them in with open arms and support us, even if he was actually a huge Dbag. And thank you for supporting our dreams most of all. We know now maybe being a “unicorn vet” wasn’t a feasible career, but you supported us nonetheless and raised us to be women we can really be proud to say we are. Thank you for spending absurd amount of money on extracurricular activities growing up, dealing with our mental breakdowns in high school about college, and supporting us from miles away while we do our best to make you proud in college.

We may not tell you enough, but we are so incredibly grateful for you. Thank you for doing the best you can to give us the best, we owe you one.

Love always,

Your little girl. 

Bryant University Class of 2019I can watch a whole series on Netflix in less than a month and feel no remorse... same with eating an entire pint of Phish Food.