An Open Letter to all Women Considering Formal Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Dear Potential New Members,

We have three amazing sororities on campus – each different and special in their own way! We encourage you all to meet us during Formal Recruitment this semester which takes place the first weekend back. Whether you’re a freshmen, upperclassmen, or a transfer student, you are all welcome! I’m sure you probably have your own views and opinions on what being in a sorority is like, or who we may be. However, if you take a chance and keep an open mind, you’ll soon see why many of us rushed too. We want to take this time to welcome you to Bryant University’s Panhellenic Council and give you a glance inside sorority life. Many of your parents may not be too pleased about membership dues, so I’ll share with you the hidden costs of being in a sorority that don’t deal with money.

From the outside, many don’t know about our sacred rituals and traditions. While every sorority has their differences, and even chapters aren’t exact replicas of each other, we all have a set of values and morals that we practice and honor in our ritual ceremonies. At the end of each ceremony we are always reminded of the reasons of why we joined and why we have chosen to stay part of our sororities. You may not be able to realize and understand this all at first, but I promise if you pay close attention in the ceremonies that you will deeply appreciate ritual and better understand its importance.  Your membership dues could never pay for the bonds you will create with your sisters based on these shared values.  

After being welcomed into the open arms of your sisters and going through a ceremony or two, you’ll soon learn about “living your ritual”. One thing you will quickly learn when being in a sorority: you are always wearing your letters. You are always representing your sorority with everything you do, for the good and for the bad. You have to hold yourself to the standards set by chapter and follow the values cherished by everyone.

Yes, college is fun and you have all the freedom in the world now, but learning should be a top priority too. Sorority women strive for academic excellence, so before you join make sure you have the required GPA. College isn’t easy, and we understand that, so you can always count on the help and support from all your sisters and an Academics Chair to get you through it. There is always someone who’s willing to run to the library with you to study and do work. You can constantly count on one of your sisters to be manning a study room or table in the FSC. Also, having older sisters in the sorority can be a great resource for class and teacher recommendations! So the hidden cost here: having to maintain a specific GPA, but having the best and most motivated tutors around to help you with it all!

When you join a sorority here on campus, you should understand that your time and effort go a lot further than just your membership dues. We are all sisters before anything, and that means being loyal and trustworthy to each other. These girls are here for you for a lifetime, and you can’t put a price tag on the memories you’ll share with each other. The cost: your time and your love.

Formal Recruitment starts on Friday January 29th and you can still sign up today with this link – https://secure.touchnet.com/C20463_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=18.Please note there is $5 REFUNDABLE fee! If you have any questions about Greek Life or Formal Recruitment please feel free to email the VP of Recruitment, Kaitlin Carr (kcarr1@bryant.edu

College Senior from CT