My Freshmen Story: How I Knew Bryant Was Right For Me

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

My Freshmen Story is a freshmen blog series written by our talented HC Bryant staff. We decided to start this because we’ve all been in those shoes that ached in nervousness, excitement, and confusion before beginning our first day as Bryant University freshmen. We know you are about to put on those shoes and figured you’d love to know exactly what to expect…so ready for your freshmen year?

If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’re a high school student trying to decide what college is right for you. Maybe you’re considering Bryant, or have already decided on Bryant but are still feeling some doubt. Having been in your shoes this time last year, I know that it isn’t an easy decision. This is the place you’re going to be making friends, spending most of your time, and receiving the education that will help you in your career. It’s totally natural for you to be afraid. Of course you’re going to wonder if you’re making the right decision. The key is to trust yourself. If your heart is telling you that Bryant is the place to be, you have to let go of your fears and just go for it!

I knew I wanted to go to Bryant the first time I toured campus. During the spring of my junior year of high school I attended a “Just for Juniors” seminar here on campus. I was immediately blown away by everything that I heard and saw. The people were so friendly, Admissions was really welcoming, and the campus looked so beautiful. I was also thoroughly impressed by the academic programs they talked about. I knew that if I wanted to get a good job after graduating college, which so many grads are having trouble doing, Bryant was a good place to be. That summer I toured a few more schools, but kept thinking back to that first school I looked into. Bryant had captured my attention from day one, and it was hard for me to picture myself anywhere else.

Although Bryant was my ultimate dream, I didn’t know for sure that this was the place for me until that dream was almost taken away from me. Although I was accepted with an academic scholarship, it still left me paying much more money than I was hoping to. When I met with someone from Financial Aid, I was told that they, unfortunately, wouldn’t be able to give me any more aid. I was also told that a less expensive state school would probably be a better choice for me. At that time I started seriously considering attending a state school. I toured RIC, and began weighing my options.

I knew that going to a state school such as RIC was more financially practical. If I went to RIC I would never have to worry about paying back student loans, or having to borrow federal aid. However, I just could not picture myself going there. It’s not that the state colleges are bad schools- they just weren’t the right fit for me. Imagining myself at another school gave me solid confirmation that Bryant was the place that I wanted to be. The thought of going to any other college made me feel sick, and I knew that if I didn’t choose Bryant I would regret it for the rest of my life. I ultimately ended up with the best of both worlds- attending Bryant but commuting from home to save money. It just goes to show that when something’s right, you know it. And you’ll be willing to do anything to get it.

My advice for anyone considering Bryant is to listen to where your heart is leading you (cheesy, I know). But if in your gut you feel that this is the place for you, trust yourself. Instead of analyzing your options, make a choice. Tell yourself that this is where you’re going, and try to imagine yourself here. If you made the right choice, you’ll feel peaceful about it. If not, remember, it’s never too late to change your mind. But we at Her Campus Bryant are confident that you’ll be just as happy with your decision as we all are!