This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Finally the time has come; Summer is here, and you’re ready to pack up and move out of these crammed dorms to face whatever exciting plans you have in store! By this time, packing seems irrelevant, and all you want is to snap your fingers and be home. Moving out can be a real b*tch, but Her Campus Bryant has some great tips for you to get yourself home faster with less stress, and less clutter to unpack. 

1)      Start bringing stuff home early– It might be a little late this year, but for next year be sure to bring some of that extra stuff you don’t need every trip back home. It’ll get rid of loads of little things, and really help to slim down packing for the last time.

2)      Organize your belongings– Days in advance, start putting things in piles. For example, throw all of your hair products in one box, or all of your jewelry in another to get organized.  By doing so, you eliminate the time it would take to do it all at once, and by keeping similar items close together you will have an easier time unpacking when you get home.

3)      Throw out unnecessary item– Go through your room to throw out any trash that you find. By throwing out paperwork, and checking around your bed to make sure your parents don’t find something they shouldn’t… you’ll save yourself a lot of time and awkwardness.

4)      Keep a suitcase to pack early– Have a suitcase with you stored at school so you can throw items in your bag early. By preplanning your outfits, you can pack up most of your belongings, except for the items you plan to wear.

5)      Collaborate with your roommate– Find out the day your roommate is moving out and at what time. The last thing you want is for both of you to be packing bags and running into each other trying to move out your life. This just leads to aggravation and not the best end to a semester.

6)      Have a plan– Write down a schedule on how you plan to attack your room. Start off with maybe packing your bed items, then your shoes, then your drawers. However you want to do so by knowing what’s next, that way you won’t waste time pacing around thinking. 

7)      Make a checklist– Be sure you have all of your most important items on this list. Leaving anything behind is a HUGE no-no. After being home, the last thing you want to do is have to make that trip all the way back to school.

8)      Do a double check– When you think you’re finally done, you’re probably not. Missing stuff is easy to do, so take a walk around and be sure you have all of your belongings!

9)      Have the best summer ever– Make the best out of your summer fellow collegiattes, and don’t worry about unpacking…. that’s a whole other article where most of the steps consist of saving it for another day.