The Most Important Thing to Pack for Spring Break Is…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Having a tan looks great, but is it really worth the risk? Listen up collegiettes, before you get away for Spring Break, make sure you pack your sunscreen!

We get it.  You want to come back from Spring Break with a killer tan to prove that you weren’t spending the whole week cooped up in bed with Netflix like the rest of us. However, spending time in the sun without sunscreen can lead to many negative side effects, including skin cancer. You think it won’t happen to you- you’re just a college student getting away for some fun in the sun- but one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their life. In addition, “melanoma (an aggressive form of skin cancer) is the second most common form of cancer in people ages 15-29.”

It is important to understand that the more sunburns a person has in a lifetime, the more likely they are to get skin cancer. With that said, claiming that you won’t wear sunscreen “just this once” does not apply. Sunscreen should be applied continuously throughout the day to serve its fullest potential. Using a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 can protect you from 97% of the sun’s rays. Using sunscreen will not only prevent you from getting a sunburn, but it will reduce your chance of premature aging. Nobody wants wrinkles!

Important things to remember before going out in the sun:

1.       Apply sunscreen with at least 30 SPF 15 minutes before going outside

2.       Reapply sunscreen every two hours or after getting wet

3.       Use a lip balm with an SPF

4.       Wear a sunscreen formulated for your face so it won’t clog your pores

5.       Limit your time in the sun between 10 A.M. and 2 P.M. when the sun is the strongest

6.       Wear protective clothing such as long sleeves and a hat

7.       Wear sunglasses to prevent your eyes from the sun’s strong rays

8.       Apply sunscreen even on a cloudy day because the sun can still affect your skin

9.       Remind your friends to apply and reapply sunscreen and help each other with hard to reach areas

10.     Stay hydrated with water

In a perfect world, everyone would be able to lay out in the sun all day long without having any worries. But in reality, you must be aware of the effects of the sun. Stay safe this Spring Break with these tips! 

*All facts taken from the American Academy of Dermatology*

Kim Flynn

Bryant '19

Fan of puppies and Starbucks. Avid koozie collector. You can usually find me with my shoe untied.